4th grade fractions "What were they thinking?"
    MmeBovary32680 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 4th grade fractions "What were they thinking?"

OK, everybody in my house has tried to complete this activity for my fourth grader. We can't get past it. It gives you a circle of circles, each with a fraction, and you're supposed to choose the fractions that are equivalent and then one fraction that is in it's most simple form.

For instance: today the equivalent fractions were all variations of 1/2....2/4, 3/6, 6/12 and the simplest fraction should have been 1/3. (If it gets any simpler than that, then I'm an idiot)

It was wrong. The equivalent answers were 2/4,3/6,6/12 and 2/3......WTH???

We're all beginning to hate fractions. Seriously. Is there some way to totally skip this activity and still complete the level? This activity is awful.

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Default Re: 4th grade fractions "What were they thinking?"

Yes, you can skip this lesson and move on to the next. Once you complete the section with the skipped lesson in it your arrow will begin moving again.

Maybe you could post the activity number so some of us could try this activity and see if some things can be worded differently or if the lesson is broken.

Spirit
    Time4Learning Support

I'll try to find it. The title of the activity is "What were they thinking?"

The activity number is 40983.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I just went through this lesson with no errors but, from the information in your post, I think I see what you are doing.

The student is to choose all of the equivalent fractions and then choose the fraction that is in simplest terms only from among the equivalent fractions. If you try to choose among all the fractions, you will find several that are in simplest form.

In your example, you said that all of the equivalent fractions were some variation of 1/2. Then, you said the simplest fraction was 1/3. That can't be correct, since 1/3 is not a variation of 1/2.

Another thing that is easy to do is to accidentally un-select an equivalent fraction when you go to select the one that's in simplest form. Before you click submit, make sure all of the equivalent fractions' circles are still purple (which indicates that they have been selected).

I hope this helps you get through this lesson but, if your student understands equivalent fractions and this is just a simple matter of not understanding the instructions or how this particular game works, then I'd skip it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

AHHHH. Of course it would be something easy like that....which is why I totally couldn't figure it out!!!!