5th grade math problem
    ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Default 5th grade math problem

My son was doing his math lesson today in 5th gr. math, operations with whole numbers, addition and subtraction activity. When he finally got to the last set of three questions, ( long activity man) it kept telling him he got question one wrong. It stated Africa had 186,945,000 animals and India had 161,038,000 and wanted to know how many more Africa had . When my son gave the answer 25,907,000 they said it was wrong. He tried it again and it said wrong. It said the correct answer was 25,970,000. Then when he got to question #2 he had to subtract the following two numbers.
    3,700,028-497,400. He gave the answer 3,202,628. It said it was wrong then it showed the problem written out( oh these are all story problems by the way with the numbers in word form) with actual numbers as 3,700,002( instead of 28 it said 02) So my son wanted to get it marked correct so he put it what it would be if it was 02 and it said wrong answer and gave the correct answer as his first answer he gave 3,202,628. It also happened early in the activity but he didn't tell me until after the fact so I don't have any examples for you. Its not a graded activity but it still frustrated my son a lot.

Thanks Amber and son
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Hi Amber,

We have already reported this activity. We are hoping our developers will get it fixed shortly. The issue lies that during the first question the program does not remind the student to be assured they are using commas. When the second questions comes around it reminds you to use commas.

I have to agree it is a long activity I had to go through it quite a few times to pinpoint the problem to report it to the developers.

Spirit

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

My son was putting the commas in is that why it said it was wrong? Interesting. Thanks.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Ok I guess I didn't go all the way through it. The earlier post was for the addition part of this lesson. I never even made it through to the word problems. This is a problem I go the same thing you and your son did and it was marked incorrect. I will report the issue with the word problems to our developers.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Spirit

murlr is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Ma5712

Hi--

Another Math question, Question 3 on the above activity...
    A line is drawn on a coordinate grid by the equation y = 4. Which of the following lines would represent a row parallel to it?

Options are:
    A) A line containing the point (6, 4)
    B) x = 4
    C) y = 0
    D) y = 3

Both C and D are correct. Scoring the answer, only "C" is correct.

Am I missing something?

charactereducation is offline Junior Member

There are so many students who are facing the same difficulty in 5th grade, so it’s a teachers and parents responsibility to take care of these things and try to make them correct before exams.
    Thanks