Correct answers displayed in status bar
    nanaringo is offline Member

Default Correct answers displayed in status bar

My granddaughter isn't exactly a genius when it comes to math (although she's working on it), but she is apparently much smarter re: computers than I gave her credit for. She discovered that, oftentimes, correct math problem answers are displayed for her in a status bar.

Try this: Lesson 6689, Pg 4 of 6, place your cursor in an answer box, then point (don't click, just point) to the check mark beside the answer box. Look at the status bar at the bottom of the page and you will see the correct answer displayed.

Has anyone else discovered this?

If this cannot be corrected, I guess I will just have to sit with her to make sure she doesn't take this shortcut. And I was finally having some success in weaning her off having to have me by her side when she does the lessons!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    nanaringo
    Nanaringo

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Hi,

This is an issue that we are already aware of. You will only find this in the older non-flash based lessons. This is because the technology used to develop these older lessons was not as advanced as what we use today. The newer, more interactive lessons, will not have this issue.

You will tend to find older lessons in Science and Social Studies subjects. There will be few in the other subjects as well. Any older lesson is one with a speaker icon or a lesson that has the Microsoft agent available to use with it. You can eye ball these lessons because there are no moving graphics, or flash, working with the lesson.

I would like to add that very few kids discover this, your granddaughter is very smart!

Spirit

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

In Internet Explorer, you can remove the status bar from view by clicking "View" and de-selecting "Status Bar" . . . but your granddaughter might know about that, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly. I will de-select the Status Bar. I don't think she knows about that yet.
    Nanaringo

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

My son discovered it too with his SS lessons, so when he does the quiz we will sit and watch or peek in on him to make sure is not cybercheating that is how I explained it to him. kinda of like looking at the paper next to you of the smartest kid in the class. luckily it doesn't work with math and LA
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

I don't know about LA yet, but it DOES work with math (at least with 6th grade math). The lesson I listed in my original post is a math lesson. I consider myself very computer savvy, but I didn't see this one coming. LOL
    Nanaringo

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

my son is in the 7th grade, if it does he hasn't figured it out yet (crossing fingers) lol
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

nanaringo, the lesson you listed in your original post is one of the older math lessons. See Spirit's second paragraph.

I have teens who haven't figured this out yet, either, but I've disabled their status bars.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!