Fifth Grade Social Studies Quiz
    Carla is offline Member Regular

Default Fifth Grade Social Studies Quiz

I have another question in regard to another quiz. Is there someway to mark a child's answer correct when the computer has marked it wrong?
    I will quote from the reading and then give you the question for your opinion.

"Calendar markings and hieroglyphic inscriptions tell the history of the Olmec people. Many of the inscriptions have been translated, but some of the markings remain undeciphered."

quiz question:
    The Olmec's system of writting used____________
    A) characters similar to hieroghlyphics
    B) bars and dots
    C) phonetic letters
    My daughter chose 'A' and had it marked wrong.
    She and I both went back through the reading and could find no mention of either 'B' or 'C'. Maybe we did not go back far enough, we reread the two lessons given on the page before the quiz.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I couldn't find any reference to writing except for the one you quoted. I also tried the quiz. I think you're right. It does appear to be a mistake in the program. I'm reporting it and moving this portion of the thread to the Tech forum for follow-up.

Thank you for letting us know.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Hi,

Another question on the Writing, Counting & Calendar Quiz under the Olmec Chapter in fifth grade Social Studies answers: The Olmec used a system of writing using bars and dots. In this quiz there are two questions retaining the same response. I believe the answer is assumed through the correct answer of this question:

1. The __________ used a system of writing using bars and dots.
    A) ancient Greeks
    B) ancient Egyptians
    C) Olmec

(Being that this Chapter is about The Olmec's I would assume C to be the correct answer, which it is.)

And the question your are inquiring about is:

6. The Olmec's system of writing used __________.
    A) characters similar to hieroglyphics
    B) bars and dots
    C) phonetic letters

(B is the correct answer.)

I too search through the entire Olmec Chapter and this is all I could come up with. I hope this is of some help

Spirit
    Time4Learning Support

Like Kelly keeps telling us, each quiz and test is different.
    The first question on my daughter's quiz is: How long did the Omec civilization flourish? I have pinted out her quiz and the first question you gave is not on her quiz. My personal feeling is that her answer of "characters similar to hieroglyphics" is correct as she can back it up in the reading.
    Thanks for looking it up though.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I see what Spirit is saying. It seems like the author did intend for the answer to be "bars and dots".

This isn't my area of expertise at all. I never studied the Olmec civilization until it came up in my son's Time4Learning lessons. I Googled it, though (my answer to everything), and most of the hits describe bars and dots as a method of writing numbers. There are also references to a hieroglyphic-style method of writing. Everything I've read says, in essence, that their actual writing methods haven't been decoded very successfully and are rather mysterious.

I don't think the author is wrong, but, from anything I've read this morning, neither is your daughter. With the reference to writing being so subtle in the lesson, I would feel comfortable giving her credit for that answer, while explaining that there is more than one "take" on this. This did prompt some study at our house, so all of my children now know a whole lot more about "Olmec Writing" than I ever did.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Hi Girls,

I completely understand were you are coming from Carla. In fact after my reply, I contacted the developers and they said you have a good argument. The developers went on to say that they might have removed some activities that would of clarified the answer more correctly. They said they would look further into it.

I would suggest maybe hand averaging yoru daughters correct grade into your printed reports.

Spirit

You guys are wonderful! I do appreciate all the work you did in checking on this answer, and all the patience you guys have in answering everyone's problems and questions. A great big thank-you.