Firefox is "deadly"!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By t4lsuzanne
  • 3 Post By monnalu
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: Firefox is "deadly"!

claraskids is offline Junior Member

Default Firefox is "deadly"!

I called tech support yesterday morning to report an issue with a math quiz. It was the first problem we had ran into in nearly a month. Received a call back shortly and was advised to stop using Internet Explorer and switch to FireFox. Huge Mistake!! Within twenty minutes of the download, our virus detector had lit up like a Christmas tree. It took my husband nearly three hours to delete all the extra junk programs that Firefox brought with it. Once that was cleaned up, then the internet stopped working altogether. Many more hours of repair work necessary to get our computer up to just the bare necessities, though now we have constant ad pop-ups.
    Why on earth would T4L depend on a browser that so few people use and that is so damaging? We will continue to make do with Internet Explorer when using T4L. If I find more glitches, we will just go back to traditional homeschooling. Not worth the hassle!!!

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Hi,

We are sorry that you had difficulty with your download of Firefox! Did you go to the www.Mozilla.org website? There are some other sites that may have a download for it, but that is the official site. I am not sure why you ended up with other things on your computer. Firefox does offer trial versions of one or another popular virus protection programs, like McAfee, but you do not have to download that to get Firefox. Firefox is a popular browser and is compatible with many websites, including the Time4Learning program using lesson provided by CompassLearning. We do have some subscribers who use other browsers like Internet Explorer, but because many of the basic standards of Internet Explorer have been slow to update to more modern technology, many times it does not work as well with more up to date programming. It often slows down the computer or displays websites improperly. Internet Explorer updates often cause glitches with websites and the programming involved in trying to keep up with their changes is difficult. Time4Learning recommends using Firefox as the most compatible browser, at the recommendation of the developer of the program, and most of our users have no trouble with it at all.

I hope you are able to figure out exactly what happened on your computer and are able to get it working again!

Suzanne
    lovehmschlg and YennyT4L like this.

monnalu is offline Member

We have used Firefox on all of our computers (5 altogether), our pads and smartphones. We have never had an issue with junk from Firefox. It is so much better than Internet Explorer. I even had it installed on my computers at work (a community college).
    YennyT4L, angeleyes1307 and TwiMom like this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

We've haven't used Internet Explorer in years. We used Firefox a few years ago and never had problems with it. But now we use Google Chrome, only because my older kids prefer it to Firefox, and my husband and I use it for work. And Time4Learning works just fine with Chrome. I recommend that you always download directly from the browser's site, though. Just my 2 cents.
    I hope you don't have any other problems, though.
    angeleyes1307 likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

claraskids is offline Junior Member

Finally did get the computer back up and running, but we won't touch Firefox again after that fiasco. It was just one lesson that wouldn't work, and I just told my son to skip it. He doesn't like blank spots, so it is driving him nuts.
    Now to calm down my "Aspie" that the new screen will still lead to same lessons.