Help

Thread: Help

jessicavier is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help

I don't know how to make assignments for the kids. They don't really like this but I thought this would be easier for me with my work schedual. It's not. The kids keep saying there are "glitches" where they have to repeat things even when they do it right. I can't find where I can track what the kids have done except on their pages. Is this right? This is the second time we have tried this I think. I want this to work but I don't know. The site map didn't help me at all. I need some help with this because I feel like giving up on it.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help

Hi, Jessica! I know it's a challenge to make time for homeschooling when you also work. Invest a bit of time at the beginning by reading the Getting Started Guide and all of the Hints. It will save time in the long run. And, of course, we are here to answer questions! There's always a learning curve when getting used to a new program.

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to individuals. Time4Learning has repackaged the program somewhat, to make it work for family use. The Assignments function was designed for classroom use and will not work for individuals. Time4Learning provides a flashing arrow to guide your student. He merely needs to sign in, choose a subject, and keep clicking wherever the arrow points until he reaches an activity.

I access the lesson plans and divide the number of activities in a subject by the number of days in our school year. This tells me approximately how many activities my kids need to do each day to finish a level during the year. I just tell them something like, "Do two language arts, one math, two science, one social studies, and one language arts extension per day (along with any associated quizzes and tests)."

Your student needs to exit each activity properly in order for it to be marked as complete. Here is information on exiting activities.

The checkmarks on activity icons are intended to be incentive for the student, not information for the parent. You sign in as your student to view his progress in his portfolio (the backpack icon). The portfolio defaults to the Recent Work tab. ALL program access appears here, whether the activity was completed or not.This is a good place to check when your kids are telling you they encounter a glitch. You can see exactly when they accessed each activity and how long they worked on it. One of mine stopped blaming "glitches" quite so often when information in this tab showed he had only spent six seconds on a social studies activity.

For viewing COMPLETED work and printing reports, click on the Reports tab. Time4Learning recommends printing a weekly report and comparing it to the lesson plans to be sure all activities were completed. You can customize reports by subject, date, or activity type.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jreed1920 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have had the same issue. For example, there is a lesson in the kindergarten language arts curriculum where the exit screen never appears so it is impossible to exit properly. This means that the lesson plan becomes out of sync so you can't tell which lesson the child should do next because the arrow remains on the completed but not exited lesson.