Lesson Quizzes NOT grading properly
    Carriekaye is offline Junior Member

Default Lesson Quizzes NOT grading properly

Specifically in Earth/Space science, several of the quizzes are not grading properly. On one quiz, my daughter got 9/10 correct, but was given the grade of 60%. On several quizzes, she got 8/10 correct and was given the grade of 70%. On a couple quizzes, she got 9/10 correct and was given grades of either 70% or 80%.

This is very frustrating, as it means I have to go through and evaluate the grades for every quiz and assignment by hand... and then rewrite the gradebook by hand.

I have not looked to see if this is happening in other classes as well.

This needs to be fixed.

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Hi,

I took a look at your student's progress report. I did see the 60% on an Activity Quiz. That quiz only had 5 questions on it and she got 2 of them wrong. With only 5 questions, each question would be worth 20 points, hence the 60% grade. The lesson quiz with a 70% grade had 10 questions, so each is worth 10 points. She got 3 questions wrong and received a 70%.

I do see that she has taken some of the quizzes more than once so the program averages the grades. Many parents use the progress reports as a guide and keep their own grade book giving different weight to quizzes, tests and lessons since the progress report gives all the same weight.

Suzanne

Some of them are graded correctly, some are not:

Examples:
    Lesson: Metamorphic rocks, 1st attempt: got 8/10 questions right... grade 60%
    Lesson: Metamorphic rocks, 2nd attempt: got 10/10 questions right... grade 90%
    Lesson: Mapping earth, 1st attempt: got 7/10 questions right... grade 60%
    Lesson: Minerals: got 9/10 questions right... grade 70%
    Lesson: Absolute age: got 10/10 questions right... grade 90%
    Lesson: Earthquakes: got 9/10 questions right... grade 80%

There are others, these are just a few.

it's the lesson quizzes that are not grading correctly, rather than the activity quizzes. I have not looked at the activity quizzes to see if they are grading correctly
    Last edited by Carriekaye; 11-14-2014 at 09:36 AM.

MarieT4L is offline T4L Support

Hi,

We have reviewed your examples, and the answer keys that are available in your parent administration page.

Here is an example of what we found:

Lesson: Absolute age: got 10/10 questions right... grade 90%

Student answered:
    Absolute-age dating techniques can be used to determine the age of which of these? Select all that apply.
    A) Earth
    B) some rocks
    C) some fossils
    D) substances made entirely of Pb-206
    E) substances made entirely of Ar-40

The answer key reflects that answers A) Earth, B) some rocks, and C) some fossils make up the correct answer. It is important that each question is answered with all of the options that apply, or points will be deducted.

We hope this helps clear up the confusion about the scoring. Please let us know if we can assist with anything else.

MarieBB

Then when I pull up her quiz on the report, it should show ALL the ones she got wrong. It does not.

This is what her graded quiz looks like for that question:

7. [EA13G03 HSLQ_EA13G03_J]
    Absolute-age dating techniques can be used to determine the age of which of these? Select all that apply.
    A) Earth
    B) some rocks
    C) some fossils
    D) substances made entirely of Pb-206
    E) substances made entirely of Ar-40

There is no indication to me that she she got this question wrong. It is misleading. However, thank you for looking into this. I am glad to know that the program is grading correctly.

Thank you.