Linux user
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux user

omadarlin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Linux user

We are having an awful time getting this set up and may have to abort Time4Learning before we even get started!!

Are there any other Linux users out there? Support basically said, "Sorry ... doesn't seem to be supported."

Thanks!

Heather
    Cincinnati, OH
    Blessings,
    Heather

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ~~ Dorothy Parker

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Linux user

Here is a thread that contains some information from a subscriber about using Time4Learning with Linux.

There has been some previous discussion about this, too. You might want to click the "Search" link at the top of the page and search for "linux" to find the old threads.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you are successful, as it could be helpful to other users.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Kelly,

Please check that link when you have a moment. It goes someplace other than a Linux discussion.

I don't use Linux, but I've considered a new desktop that has Linux instead of Windows so I am really interested about this.

Good luck Heather. It would be just awful if you can't get it to work!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Heather,
    If I were you, I would find a Linux forum to ask for some assistance. I really believe there will be some people who might be able to help.
    Here is one.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

Oops!

Thanks, Stephanie. I fixed the link.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks Kelly! Now I see why I had the impression people might need some extra computer skills to use only Linux.
    I'm sure I'll try it pretty soon, just for the sake of learning it.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie739
    I'm sure I'll try it pretty soon, just for the sake of learning it.
    You're a woman after my own heart!

Thank you, ladies. My husband is a techie so I am sending him to follow all this. He may have found a work-around and, if so, he will be posting the full results here.

Blessings,
    Heather
    Blessings,
    Heather

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ~~ Dorothy Parker

Okay ... here's what the hubby says!

Hi folks,

I read up on the other thread where one fellow posted a solution. The solution involved using a program called "Wine" which allows you to run Windows apps in Linux. It's not a perfect solution and when I tried it it only mostly worked. Looks like the final flaw is actually some Shockwave content on the site. I can get Ubuntu Linux with Firefox 3 and a Flash player to do the parent's part of the site and about half of the student's part of the site. But no matter how I tweaked my emulator (I use Crossover office professional which is like Wine only more versatile) I couldn't quite get it to take completely.

One option for folks who have a fairly new PC (P4-ish and a gig of RAM) is to use a Virtual Machine. Sun's xVM Virtual Box (http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/get.jsp) is a nice solution. You can install the virtual machine and then use it only for accessing T4L. I use Windows VM for another app that has to run in Windows and have it auto-launch into that app. It's not a great solution but it is one solution to reduce your risk of using a Windows machine as your primary OS (which is what we are looking at doing because our daughter's PC doesn't have enough oomph to run a VM). One caveat on this, please make sure you have a valid Windows license if you do this. Most PC's from the store will have a certificate of authenticity on them for Windows. If you do you're good to go. Use that license when you install the VM.

I really think the problem could be fixed if the content were looked at and any shockwave material were changed to just normal Flash. Adobe now supports their latest Flash player in Linux native format but not Shockwave.

Michael Wigle
    Linux geek
    Blessings,
    Heather

maidmercy is offline Junior Member

Default HELP FOR LINUX USERS !

I use Ubuntu daily for Time 4 learning. It can be done pretty simple.

I use firfox , and I downloaded a add on called Agent switcher.

You can get it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Once you have installed the add on , go to Tool/Add Ons /Agent Switcher/Preferences/New
    Copy and Paste in correct areas.

Description: FireFox 3.6 (windows 7)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2b1) Gecko/20091014 Firefox/3.6b1 GTB5

If this one doesn't work for you , you can go to the link below for a huge list. Look under Firefox.
    http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/us ... string.php

If none of these work for you , my suggestion is to find a Mac string.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20090204 Firefox/3.1b3pre

Even though this works , I did find an issue in 5th grade math. My son took a quiz and then the Done/turn in button would disappear. To fix this , right click the page , click on This Frame , and then Show this frame only. You'll be able to see the grade , I can't promises you that it will show up as being done. For me it's not a big issues , because I use engrade.com to keep grades.
    Update on the 5th Grade Math Quiz , I am using the MAC string (firefox3.5 OSX10), and there seems to be no issue anymore with the turn in button disappearing.

Here is a youtube video to help in the fix.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDrEvTwMhaM

If you have any problems , let me know and I'll see if I can help you.
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast