Mac user ?

Thread: Mac user ?

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Mac user ?

I have a Mac and my son struggles w/ reading. I know that you guys offer Petey the parrot to help read on PC's do you offer a program like this for the mac? If so where is the link to download it. If not do you think that you will offer it soon.

My son can't use history or science program w/o me, and the whole point in using t4learing is for him to work independently while I deal with his toddler brother and sister.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Natural Readers is an alternate text-to-speech recognition program. It works like Peedy the Parrot but actually reads ALL online text, not just certain sections – even emails. If it can be highlighted, Natural Readers can convert it to speech. It is a different program than Time4Learning, but it is compatible with our lessons. Natural Readers offers support through their own website.
    To download Natural Readers, visit our Text-to-Speech reader hints page and click the download option.
    To get started using your Natural Reader, follow the instructions below:
    1. Select the start option from the bottom of your menu screen.
    2. Select All Programs
    3. Select Natural Soft Programs
    4. Select Free Natural Readers
    5. Select Free NaturalReader 2008 (the icon will be a blue box with a lightning bolt)
    6. Here you will find a description of your natural reader software
    7. Select the "Go to Miniboard" (this will put your command board in the upper right hand corner of your screen. It will also put an icon in the bottom left hand corner of your menu bar for easier access.
    8. Open the activity you want read and select the play option.
    Hope this helps!

Blog Entries

that program is great but does not work on my mac :^(

thanks anyway, any other ideas?
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Blog Entries

Thank you for your help in showing me the download link. BUT....

Oh I am sooo excited. A friend of mine who actually encouraged me to get my mac 2 years ago, just showed me how mac has the text to speech BUILT IN!!!! no down loading any program, he set it up so that we just highlight what we want read, click on a button combination and it reads it.

My son is going to be happy he can do Science and Social Studies w/o my help now!!!!

Here is how to get to your Text to Speech on a Mac

Go to System Preferences

Under System you will see a microphone that says Speech
    Click the Text to Speech button
    Then choose your voice (we chose Alex he sounds the most clear)
    Click on Speak selected text when key is pressed
    Then set your Key we chose Control+Alt+S

And now you are good to go!!!

I hope this helps other Mac users, too.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This is AWESOME information! Mary the Mac User who is doing the YIPEE dance!!! (Big Excited Smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/