Marking Correct Answers WRong??
    Laci is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Marking Correct Answers WRong??

I've noticed that T4L has a really bad habit of marking correct answers wrong. Is there a specific reason for this? It's VERY confusing to the child and it happens at least 5 or 6 times a session. Math is the WORST for this. Anything I can do about this?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Can you give a specific example? Often this happens because of how the answer was input. For example, if the student hits the space bar before or after his answer, the program "thinks" the space is a character and "knows" there isn't a character like that in the answer, so it is marked wrong. A parent looking at the answer would not notice the slight space.

Another problem is typing the letter "o" instead of a zero.

The most frequent reason for one of my own daughters getting stuck is her failure to find ALL of the right answers. In the game-style math lessons, the student is often given several answers to choose from, and is told to choose the answers that meet a certain criteria. There could be one, two, three, or more correct answers to the problem. The student must click on all of the correct answers and not click on any of the incorrect answers in order for the problem to be marked "correct".

A specific example (lesson activity number and problem) would help to pinipoint the reason for what you are experiencing. I'll be happy to work through any examples you provide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Well for instance, he was doing a math portion of his lesson plans and the problem said to round the two numbers, and then find the sum of the two numbers. He did fine on the first two, but the last two were counted wrong even though they were right.

5000 + 4000 = 9000. All of it was typed in correctly, but it was still marked wrong. Both numbers were rounded right, and added correctly. It did the exact same thing on the second problem, with different numbers.

Carla is offline Member Regular

I bet a little fix on your/your child's part will solve this problem. Try adding the comma after the thousands place. Even though technically correct without it, the computer program does not accept the answer without the comma. We learned this by trial and error also.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Was it this kind of a rounding problem, discussed in this previous thread?

I have five kids using Time4Learning, and once in awhile a child comes to me for clarification about something that has been marked wrong. So far, we haven't found any errors, although I've had to think carefully a few times to understand why.

When grading work, a computer can't reason what the student "probably" meant by his answer (the way a human can), so answers must be input "just so". This is the nature of computer programs. The comma Carla mentioned is another example of a machine's inability to reason. Sometimes it takes some practice to get accustomed to "thinking" like a computer.

Nothing is foolproof, though, and if there is an actual programming error, it needs to be corrected. If this happens again, please provide the lesson activity number and a description of the problem, so someone can test it. Thank you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Carla
    I bet a little fix on your/your child's part will solve this problem. Try adding the comma after the thousands place. Even though technically correct without it, the computer program does not accept the answer without the comma. We learned this by trial and error also.
    This was the issue, thank you very much! We were typing in the answers without commas, but we will remember that one.:P I'll bte that explains a couple of errors we've had in a couple of subjects that involved numbers. Thanks again!

kvoj is offline Member

my child just completed a quiz today (multiple choice) and two of his answer were marked incorrect when I believe they are the correct answers. My understanding of the strategy of making 10 would be to make the first number so its easier to subtract. 12-8 would be 12-2=10 therefore you would have 10-8 not 10-6 or 10-5 and 14-6 would be 14-4=10 therefore you would have 10-6 not 10-2 or 10-3.
    problem-1.jpgproblem-2.jpg

T4LSue is offline T4L Support

Hi kvoj,

I am sorry for any confusion this has caused. Please contact [email protected] with the grade level, subject, chapter, activity name and number so that they can test the activity and alert the developer. We appreciate your feedback.