Natural Reader--3rd grade curriculum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mamaerin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Natural Reader--3rd grade curriculum

My son is currently doing 2nd grade work for language arts, although he is a 3rd grader. The 2nd grade work drives him crazy with the condescending tone in the voices and such...he feels like it treats him like a baby! So, I showed him the 3rd grade work, which he liked much better. The issue is that the reading skills needed for it are much more intense. I wanted to use Natural Reader to help him when reading the passages in the first quiz (synonyms), but it wouldn't let me highlight the text in order for Natural Reader to be able to function. Is it possible to use Natural Reader with the 3rd grade www.time4learning.com curriculum?!

If not, what is available to help with the reading passages (other than me sitting over his shoulder reading for him)?

Thanks,
    Erin

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

Hi,

Yes, Natura lReader's will work with our LA lessons. Natural Reader software is a professional text to speech program that converts any text into spoken words. It lets you listen to text instead of reading on screen! Just one click, you can have your computer speak any text aloud in a clear, natural sounding human voice.

It's never been so easy to use a text-to-speech program. As long as the software is running, just press Control plus F9, and you can have the computer speak any selected text on the computer screen.

You can choose to copy and paste text to the reading area of the software, or more conveniently, with the add-in toolbars in the Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and Outlook programs, you can listen to any online news, web information, Word documents, Presentation files and emails without copy and paste.

Hopes this helps!

Spirit

I tried doing exactly as you said--pressing control/F9 and it did NOT work. The problem was that the text simply wouldn't highlight in order for me to get Natural Reader to function. This was during the first quiz on the 3rd grade language arts curriculum. I'll try it again, though.

If it still doesn't work what do I need to do in order to get the text to highlight in t4l?

Have you tried just selecting the play button once the mini board is pulled up?

What play button? In the natural reader program? I haven't tried that yet. Let me go sign in under his name real fast and see if that works.

I have tried selecting text and it simply won't highlight. I have tried pressing control and F9 and it doesn't do anything either. I will go try to push "play" on the natural reader program while the page I want read is pulled up.

I opened my natural reader program, clicked on "Go to miniboard", and then while the page I wanted read was open I clicked the "play" button. It simply told me to highlight the text I want read!!! The text will NOT highlight, though.

Can someone try it out for themselves and see if they can get it to work? We are doing the first quiz in the 3rd grade language arts curriculum (synonyms). The one I am attempting to have read to my son is the first reading passage about carving pumpkins.

Thank you so much for your help.

Erin

Ok I checked it on my end to, what do you need read? The lessons seem to read everything still. can you give me an example of what is not being read?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I checked the third grade lessons and could only get it to read the address bar and the lesson title. It ignores the text within the Flash animation. Maybe it doesn't identify that portion as text?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

It's the reading passage in Word Herd Quiz 1.

Adobe Flash Player is used for the passage~~~

Today, all the kids in art class were supposed to sculpt pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns. But when Mrs. Avila handed out knives, she didn't have enough. One student, Emily, didn't get one.

"That's okay, Mrs. Avila," said Emily.

As the other kids cut open their pumpkins, slicing out eyes and noses and mouths, Emily pulled out her markers and drew a funny face on her pumpkin. Even though her pumpkin remained uncarved, it was the hit of the class.

"And I didn't make a mess," added Emily.

~~~

That is the passage that will not highlight. Is that exact passage highlighting for you?

Thanks,
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    I checked the third grade lessons and could only get it to read the address bar and the lesson title. It ignores the text within the Flash animation. Maybe it doesn't identify that portion as text?
    Yes, that is my problem. I NEED it to recognize the text as text, though!!! I am hoping this is fixable...some sort of solution

Erin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast