No speaker icon and LA question
    dtwebb is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default No speaker icon and LA question

Hello,
    Today is my first day to use T4L, and I must say I am feeling quite inept! I was attracted to T4L because I thought the lessons could be read aloud to the student. However, my students are on levels 2 and 3, and I don't have the speaker icon. My computer runs Vista, so I downloaded the sp-4 or whatever that was! I still don't see where to install MS Peedy. Am I overlooking something?

Also, the level indicated at the top of the launch pad is 2,3. I want my child to do some phonics activities. According to the lesson plans, there should be some chapters on phonics, fluency, and comprehension. But the only options displayed are for comprehension. How do I get the phonics lessons to appear?

Thanks so much. If I'm being a complete idiot here, don't hesitate to tell me! I won't be offended--as long as you get me on the right track!

Deidre

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Deidre,

You're not an idiot! Peedy can be a pain!

Really, Peedy is a great little bird if you can get him to work. There are four components that need to be installed. The SAPI is one of them.

First thing you'll want to be sure of is that you're using Internet Explorer. Since Peedy is a Microsoft product, you will not see the speaker icon if you're using Firefox.

Downloading Peedy is done by clicking the speaker icon for the first time. The downloads pop up and you save all four. After he's installed, you just turn him "on" by clicking the speaker.

As far as the phonics, fluency and comprehension. Click the "2" in the upper right hand corner where you see the "2" and "3". That will take you to the 2nd grade level.The 2nd grade level has nine sections on these concepts.

If you'd prefer that your child's default level is 2nd grade for Language Arts just log into your Parent Login and click "Update Child Education Level" and ask them to decrease your Language Arts Level. This would mean she wouldn't have to click on the "2" every time. It would be what she sees when she first clicks on Language Arts. She would still have access to the 3rd grade level, just by clicking on the "3".

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes with Peedy.

Kris
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide