Odyssey Writer

Thread: Odyssey Writer

HKHaze123 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation Odyssey Writer

I read a post similar to this but I'm still having problems. My daughter has been trying to turn in assignments. I have been printing them out and she's been doing the assignment by hand and turning them into me. And we are trying to just turn in the assignment to show that it's done but we keep getting an error..."timeout" Can anyone help me? Because these are not shown as being turned in she always has to search where she left off from Language Arts. I hope that makes sense.

Please help!
    A bit frustrated and feeling dumb!

PaulaT4L is offline T4L Support

The Odyssey Writer is a word processing component that students can access to respond to prompts within the program or to generate an original piece of writing. Within the Odyssey Writer, there are several tools for children to use for prewriting and editing strategies, from graphic organizers to note cards. Parents can access a rubric through the Odyssey Writer to assess student writing samples.

How do I start an Odyssey Writer Assignment?

Odyssey Writer activities are located throughout the language arts lessons. When opening the activity, the instructions/writing prompts will appear. Before you can begin you will need to hit the Close button located in the lower right hand corner of your screen. If, by chance, you cannot see the Close icon, hit F11 on your keyboard.

“Optional” Tools Available

Note Cards

The Note Card tool allows students to type “notes” for their project on electronic note cards. The note cards form an outline for students to use when writing their projects. Students can add their own note cards, manipulating and deleting them as desired.

Graphic Organizer

A graphic organizer is a prewriting tool that students may use to link ideas together. Students create and position idea boxes in a manner that will help them determine the flow of ideas for their writing project. Its contents are synchronized with the Note Card tool and are displayed in the Outline tab.

Saving a File:
    A child can begin writing a document and come back to it at a later point to finish. In order to save a piece of writing, the child must click on file and then click save.
    When the save box appears, the child must type in a title for the writing sample and then click okay.

Note: Saving a document does not make it mark as complete in the reports section. Students must “hand in” writing samples in order for them to mark as complete in “My Portfolio.”

Opening a Saved File:
    To open a saved file, click on file. Then, click on open in the drop down menu. Click on the title of the project, which will highlight it in green. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click open. This will open the document so that the child can add or make changes to what they already have.

Handing in a File:
    In order for a writing assignment to mark as complete, it must be handed in. Students can hand in finished projects by clicking on the last icon in the orange toolbar that indicates a hand holding a piece of paper. A screen will appear that asks which teacher the child would like to hand the assignment into. Any teacher can be selected, this simply marks it as complete. Grading is the responsibility of the parent. The child will scroll down and click send at the bottom of the screen.

Exiting:

To exit out of the Odyssey Writer activities correctly, click on the Exit icon located in the upper right hand corner. If the page appears as though it is loading and does not exit, try hitting your F5 key to refresh the page. This should bring you back to the launchpad. If that does not work, hit the Back Button. If all work was saved and handed in before exited, it will appear in the reports section as completed.

Grading:
    Parents are responsible for the actual grading of a child’s writing assignment. To access the finished, work go into the recent work of the progress reports and click on the hyper-linked N/A next to the name of the lesson. By clicking on the checkmark icon, a rubric will appear that gives descriptions of how to grade a sample, based on the areas of content, idea development, voice, and conventions. Parents can then print out the work and write the grade on it for keeping in your paper portfolio. Please note that you will not be able to save the grade in the online reports section.

If you have any further questions, please contact us or check out our Hints.

crissygayle is offline Junior Member

Are social studies assignments, the writing projects, actually graded when submitted with Odyssey writer.

richgoetsch is offline Junior Member

So, to paraphrase; the Rubric gives you the guidelines to score the work in a number of different aspects in a score of 1-4. You write "the grade" on a hard copy and keep it in a file for your own records. You have to invent "the grade" based on how well you think they fullfilled the rubrics on however many aspects there are.
    For example; I have 4 aspect rubrics and can click on a score button 1-4 for each of the 4 aspects. (we'll say the student got 2, 2, 3, and 3 ) then you have to translate that into a grade or score for feedback to the student. The button clicks for the Rubric are saved on the odyssey writer, but don't translate to a score, and are not tracked or saved anywhere on the T4L account...is that about right?

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Yes you have it right. The system cannot grade student writing assignments. There is a rubric which helps guide parents with what to look for, but ultimately, since you are acting as the teacher when you are homeschooling, it is up to you to grade it if you wish. We advise parents to keep any written work in a portfolio along with the student's progress reports and any other offline material that they may use. The high school English writing assignments do have a a more detailed grading guide available in the lesson plans on the parent page to offer more assistance.