Odyssey Writer

Thread: Odyssey Writer

amandapreece is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Odyssey Writer

How do I have my child's Odyssey Writer work sent to me once completed? When they hit "turn in" they are given a list of options that aren't me. Apparently they have been sending all of their work into cyberspace. Please help me fix this problem, so that I can receive and grade their work
    Thanks,
    Amanda

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Hi,

Here is some information about the Odyssey Writer.

The Odyssey Writer is a word processing component that students can access to respond to prompts within the program or to generate an original piece of writing. Within the Odyssey Writer, there are several tools for children to use for prewriting and editing strategies, from graphic organizers to note cards. Parents can access a rubric through the Odyssey Writer to assess student writing samples.

A child can begin writing a document and come back to it at a later point to finish. In order to save a piece of writing, the child must click on file and then click save.
    When the save box appears, the child must type in a title for the writing sample and then click okay.

In order for a writing assignment to mark as complete, it must be handed in. Students can hand in finished projects by clicking on the last icon in the orange toolbar that indicates a hand holding a piece of paper. A screen will appear that asks which teacher the child would like to hand the assignment into. Select the "A Place To Turn In" - this simply marks it as complete. The child will scroll down and click send at the bottom of the screen. Grading is the responsibility of the parent.

Parents are responsible for the actual grading of a child’s writing assignment. To access the finished, work go into the recent work of the progress reports and click on the hyper-linked N/A next to the name of the lesson. By clicking on the checkmark icon, a rubric will appear that gives descriptions of how to grade a sample, based on the areas of content, idea development, voice, and conventions. Parents can then print out the work and write the grade on it for keeping in your paper portfolio. Please note that you will not be able to save the grade in the online reports section.

To see a video explanation of the above go to: Time4Learning Odyssey Writer Activities - YouTube

Suzanne

I watched the video. I see that the child is supposed to select "A place to turn in" but when my son does the work, and tries to hand in, it doesn't give him the option to do that. So I cannot grade his stuff. Any tips?

angiebree is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm trying to figure out how to submit the grade...after I fill out my rubix, there is nothing to submit and when I exit out of it and go back in, I have to start all ovver again. Am I supposed to just do the Rubix and print it out?

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

Hi,

You will need to print out the assignment and the rubric. There is no way to input the grade into the system.

Suzanne