Question about a lesson score?
    mom2beauty is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about a lesson score?

Hi, we are new to T4L and I have a question, my DD has completed #10147 in her math and the score came up as a 60%. Now I sat here and watched her do this lesson and she did not get any of the answers wrong and she did it in what I would consider a timely manner(its was a very easy lesson considering it is very basic first grade math and she is well over the second grade level)...why then would her score be a 60% on this lesson. I am going to make her redo this lesson but feel it is a waste of both our time, so I wanted to see if I could find out why this scored her so low and how can I make sure that in the future her scores are accurate?

seashell is offline Member Regular

Why are you making her do it over if you know it's a waste of time?

I went ahead and let my 6yo (also doing 2nd grade math, generally) do that lesson- she did everything right, and it shows a score of 100%, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with that lesson in general. ? Sorry to be no help, but I thought I'd throw in that data point, anyway.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The lessons aren't timed, so that doesn't impact her score.

If you have her do the lesson over, the new score will not replace the old score. Both scores will be included in her average. If you feel she knows the material, it may, as you stated, be wasting time to have her redo the lesson, because it will not impact her average very much.

I did this lesson and received 100% also. I'm not sure why your daughter didn't.

There are two parts to this lesson: the animated part and the five quiz questions at the end. Were you sitting with her during both parts? When she did the quiz at the end, did you hear the program saying that the answer was correct each time?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mom2beauty is offline Junior Member Newbie

Well I made her do it again because I wanted to see what it would re-score her and it gave her 100%
    A waste of time YES, why I made her do it over, well being a home-school Mom I wanted a program that I could rely on to keep accurate scores and records and if this is not going to be that program then its not the one for me!
    I sat here with her and watched her do the entire lesson both times, so I know what her answers were each time, otherwise I would question if she missed a question or two, but its all of 5 questions and both times she got them all correct so why it scored her a 60% I have no idea, but Im not very happy with it!!
    I want accurate scores and reports, that is one of the reasons I was interested in T4L. What happens when she does the lessons on her own and the system reports her a 100% when she only gets a 60%, if I cant rely on the reports being correct what good are they?
    Thats all I was saying...I didnt mean to upset anyone.....

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I don't think you upset anyone. We're just confused, and trying to figure this out.

I just did this exercise two more times. When I deliberately made two errors, I received 60%, which is correct.

I'm not aware of other reports of the scoring system being flawed. I wonder what happened here?

I always sit with two of my children when they do their math. As far as my experience would indicate, the reports can be relied on. If you don't have any further problems, we may never know what happened this one time.

If it happens again, please let us know. Certainly, reliable reports are important.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Mom2Beauty,

Sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience with this lesson. I would tend to chalk this up to an internet glitch. I hate to leave you with that answer, but after checking the lesson out and finding the same thing as the other ladies who checked it out, I think that's probably the case. The internet can be glitchy. I hope you don't run into too many more issues.

Thanks,

Kris
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide