Science and Social Studies
    mflood22 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Science and Social Studies

We have been using T4L for almost a month now and over-all I'm quite pleased. My DD is loving it and is going to blow through the 6th grade lessons in no time flat. DS tends to skip over anything he doesn't feel like doing and we are having trouble keeping him focused to actually DO the lessons. I have a feeling we are going to repeat a lot of them.

So here's my problem: When my son does his social studies or science lessons and takes the little quiz at the end, he never shows up with a score in his portfolio. I thought he was just skipping them but I just took one and it didn't show up either. I clicked on the little hand when I was done. This was lesson 428 if that helps but none of his social studies or science has been scored.....

THANKS!
    Michelle

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Michelle, by "little quiz at the end", do you mean a quiz or a test that is represented by its test or quiz icon? The arrow will not point to the tests and quizzes. Your student needs to remember to take them. The tests and quizzes are what make up your student's grade.

Most of the science and social studies lessons are non-graded activities, intended to teach, not to assess. The questions within the lessons themselves provide the feedback necessary for the student to be sure he is understanding what he is reading, and are not graded.

Clicking the little hand will mark the lesson as completed.

The Reports section of your student's portfolio should provide enough inforomation for you to determine if your student is hurrying through these non-graded lessons or not. If he is reading the material and doing the activities, he should be spending a few minutes on each lesson activity.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mflood22 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks! I think I figured it out now. It was the 5-6 questions at the end of the lesson that I thought were quizzes that were throwing me off. I didn't think he was actually reading the information and the only way to know if he was getting anything out of it was by those questions - I'm having him print the page after he selects the answers. Today I watched him skip past all the reading, click on 5 random answers and get 4 out of 5 right!! Darn kid - I'm sure he just guessed good.

Thanks again!
    Michelle

goodnsimple is offline Member Newbie

Another thing to look for is the fact that the pop up will tell you whether the answer is correct or not, and then you can change them...so if ds printed them out THEN it would show a perfect score.
    The quizes are more difficult, but watch carefully, we have found some incorrect answers.