Technical issue with Algebra lessons
    ourhomeyzcool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Technical issue with Algebra lessons

Hi. I'm trying to see the Algebra lessons from my 6th grader's launch pad. I don't see them in his Math section, so I'm trying typing LA# in the "Enter Code" box. By the way, is there a way of accesing Algebra from the Math section?
    Anyway, when I enter AL178, the first Algebra learning activity, it appears "Adobe Shockwave Player is now installing", and that's it. I'm no computer whiz, but I know my computer has Adobe Shockwave Player 11. Thanks for your help.

I'd like to add that after a while, it appears a little box with this message:

"Could not load the DDL library C:\WINNT\system32\Kernel32.dll (GetSystemWow64DirectoryA). The specified procedure could not be found."

Thanks again.

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi,

The Algebra will need to be added to your child's account in order to access those lessons. Does he have an Algebra icon on his launchpad?

If he doesn't just let us know that you'd like to add it and we will. (You can send me a PM with your info or you can email [email protected]

The shockwave issue may or may not be related to this. Sometimes it takes uninstalling and reinstalling the shockwave for the computer to recognize it. Not sure why that is, but the shockwave can sometimes be tricky.

Hope this helps.

Kris
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide

Kris, thanks for adding Algebra to my kid's launchpad.

About shockwave, I've uninstalled it and reinstalled like 10 times. After many hours reading and performing all I could find in their website about Windows 2000, my system, I gave up. From the 4464 K that the download should take, my computer only can get 19.9 MB. As they recommend, I've already removed all dirapi.dll and iml32.dll files, and I've installed the dll library they mention, and nothing works. When I check my system in your website still says I have to download shockwave.

Should I give up Algebra? Thanks for your help.

t4ler is offline Support

There have been some known issues with Shockwave and the Algebra curriculum.

Here is some more possible solutions to Shockwave probelms that may help you:

Possible Issues with Macromedia Update or Download

Problem 1: Users of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system receive the following message when attempting to install the free Shockwave Player:
    "A file replacement was attempted on the protected system file file_name. To maintain system stability, the file has been restored to the correct Microsoft version. If problems occur with your application, please contact the application vendor for support"

Solution 1: In some cases users might need to uninstall and reinstall the Shockwave Player. If going through the normal download is not an option.

Problem 2: Your computer must be restarted in order to complete the installation of Shockwave Player. Would you like to restart now?

Solution 2: Restarting the computer is not required for the Shockwave Player installation. Users get stuck in an endless loop and restarting will not help. The error message comes up every time the browser calls the Shockwave Player. The Shockwave Player will not work, and no content is viewable through the player. See uninstalling your macromedia shockwave before installing the most updated version.

Thanks for your interest.

About the Restarting issue, I already learned how to avoid it from the tech support at adobe's website (removing all dirapi.dll and iml32.dll files that are not in the macromed or Director application folders).

And about uninstalling and reinstalling shockwave, yes, as I said in my previous message, I've done that many times, even using the special uninstalling program from adobe's website.

I think my problem is that my operating system is Windows 2000, not Windows XP. If you happen to know any "tricks" for this, please let me know, because I've read in other parent's posts here that this problem may also affect the Language lessons, which I'll really need this year.

Again, thanks a lot for your patient help.

SpiritT4L is offline Columnists

There is a difference between the shockwave player issues in the Algebra and Language Arts lessons.

If you want to know if your shockwave player is updated enough for your language arts lessons, use your lessons plans and fin a Think Aloud Lesson. These are usually within the first 4 to 5 chapters. If all of the reading text is readable then your shockwave player is up-to-date enough for your language arts lessons.

Spirit
    Support