Where are the grade 5 math tests?
    mom-o-four is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Where are the grade 5 math tests?

I'm so sorry if this question has been asked and answered, but I am unable to find it.

Since the upgrade, I am unable to find the tests that used to be available in the math portion of grade five. We used them a lot, both as pre tests (to identify areas of mastery and areas that need more work) and as post tests (to ensure that adequate learning had been attained). Please don't tell me that they are no longer available. If that is the case, I think this upgrade is really a down grade! It is not advantageous to me at all to not be able to assess my kids' current understanding and then later progress. It is a waste of time to work through every lesson when that isn't what is needed. Please, please bring back those tests!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

It's my understanding that all of the material previously available is still there, under the icon marked "Practice" at the end of the program. I'll pop over there and make sure that includes the tests.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I don't see tests for the old portion of the program, either. Since it's Friday night, it might be Monday before someone can let us know if this is an oversight or if they are no longer available.

The quizzes are integrated within the new material (similar to how it's done with core language arts). That will be an improvement for our family.

We'll let you know what we find out about those tests.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mom-o-four is offline Junior Member Newbie

I had read that in another post, so I checked it out. All of the lessons are there, but no tests.

Also, they are all run together instead of being split into broad categories with tests for each category.

As we would begin each category, we would take the test first to see what each of my kids already knows and has mastered so that we can use our time most efficiently and bore them as little as possible by not covering material they already know. Then it was great to go back and see the improvement when taking the test again after covering the lessons on the "non-mastered" material.

There is an indication of which lessons we have completed, but no way to assess learning pre or post.

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Mom-o-four,

You're dead on and I agree, it's made it more difficult for those of us who were doing it that way. Over the summer I have been having my (going into 7th grade) daughter go through and do the tests (in the 6th grade level) as a means of finding out if she needed to work on that chapter. We can't do that now, but here is how we can work around that. Admittedly, it's a bit more work...

The replacement materials from the new update cover all of the same areas as the older material that was placed in the practice folder. The new lessons are broken up into 1 activity, 1 worksheet and 1 "quiz" (this is actually just a scored activity, but it's set up like a quiz and will allow you to see the correct answers right after you complete it, which can be helpful). For each concept you learn in the practice folder, you can find a corresponding "quiz" in the new material. It takes a little jumping back and forth, but it's doable.

We already have the new lesson plans up in the parent login, so it's pretty easy to find where the quiz type activities are. You'll be able to pull it up using the LA codes, which you can't do if it's a "real quiz".

Have I completely confused you? LOL Sorry if I have. The fact that the developers called these activities "Quiz" is confusing, but the activities are actually very cool and informative, so we're hoping everyone can forgive us for that.

Also, we still have the .pdf version of the old lesson plans up, which you can see when you click "print this" on each lesson plan in the parent login. This gives you the old view of the 5th and 6th grade math lesson plans so you can at least see how they used to be broken up by chapter. We'll be replacing it on Monday, but I will make sure we keep a copy of it for anyone who would like to use it. (If you read this after Monday, just let us know by posting here, emailing or calling and we'll send you a link to the .pdf)

Hope this helps.

Kris
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide