Why is the answer wrong to a question when its right?
    tanyablue3 is offline Junior Member

Default Why is the answer wrong to a question when its right?

My daughter was doing her Algebra 1 work today and she was doing her activites and when she would answer the questions, it would tell her the answer is wrong and then it would show her the right answer and it would be the same answer she checked. And when she got the answer wrong it would tell her it was right. Why is it doing this? My daughter gets very aggravated and is failing her quizzes because she doesn't know the right answers.

JennyT4L is offline Administrator

Hi Tanyblue3!

We're sorry to hear that your daughter is having trouble with her Algebra 1 course. Can you please email [email protected] the specific activity number that she was experiencing this with? They are more than happy to review the activity for you.

Since the curriculum is all done online, it is very particular about how an answer is entered into the system. Even the tiniest extra space may mark an answer as wrong. Let's work together to get to the bottom of this. We have alerted Time4Learning support in that you will be emailing the activity details.

LDmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Re: Why is the answer wrong to a question when its right?

It seem we are having the same issue but cannot confirm for sure whether or not the answers are correct or incorrect because the instructions are badly explained, and there doesn't seem to be any answer keys for some of the lessons/quizzes/tests. Can someone please confirm whether or not the answers were actually correct or incorrect.

*Edited my example of the correct answer because did not realize at first that the answer key contained multiple answers and they were not in order.

Answers answer key still came out incorrect which i an example of in another post.
    Last edited by LDmom; 01-16-2019 at 04:57 AM.

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is the answer wrong to a question when its right?

Hi. Answer keys for quizzes can be found by logging in to your parent dashboard, clicking on Resources, and then choosing Lesson Plans/Scope and Sequence from near the top of the left sidebar. Find the subject and grade level, and then look in the correct column for the keys. Here's a picture of where you can find the answer key for this particular quiz. You might need to click to enlarge it, depending on what device you are using.

quizanswerkey.jpg

The purpose of this quiz is to be sure the student knows the difference between several different estimation techniques (front end estimation, clustering, compatible numbers, etc.). Each problem tells which technique to use for that problem. Since these are estimates (just an idea of a number that is very close to the actual answer), you will get a slightly different answer depending on which method you use, so it's important to use the proper technique.

It looks like you were probably using the only type of estimation most of us "grown-ups" were taught in school years ago, which involves rounding each number up or down to the nearest ten or hundred. That won't work on many of these problems when the instructions are to use a specific technique.

I hope this helps explain. Fortunately, any activity with Time4Learning can be done as many times as necessary, so you can go back and view the lessons associated with this quiz again if you need to learn all of the techniques.

P.S. I'll edit this to add that test and quiz questions are somewhat different each time they are attempted, because a few questions are drawn from a large bank of potential questions. This assures that the student is actually understanding the material and not just memorizing the answers to quiz or test questions. So, when you access an answer key, ALL of the potential questions will be on there. You will need to hunt for the particular question your student was asked during that attempt, and the answers might be in a different order than what was presented to your student. The hunting is quick for me if I access an answer key online and then use Ctrl + F (the "find" function) to search for a few words out of the question I am looking for. For that reason, I, personally, do not print answer keys. I prefer to look at them online when I need them.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you for explaining the answer key organization.

As far as your statements below I understand what your saying, but I don't believe that's not the case here. For example question 1 and 3 both had the same specific techniques in the instructions, and the same method was used to calculate both, yet the answers in the answer keys were correct for one but not the other. I believe question 1 the correct answer should have been C.

"The purpose of this quiz is to be sure the student knows the difference between several different estimation techniques (front end estimation, clustering, compatible numbers, etc.). Each problem tells which technique to use for that problem. Since these are estimates (just an idea of a number that is very close to the actual answer), you will get a slightly different answer depending on which method you use, so it's important to use the proper technique."

"It looks like you were probably using the only type of estimation most of us "grown-ups" were taught in school years ago, which involves rounding each number up or down to the nearest ten or hundred. That won't work on many of these problems when the instructions are to use a specific technique."
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Blog Entries

In the first pdf you attached, "C" (3100) would be the answer if you were using the rounding method of estimation. The instructions are to use the clustering method. In that problem, you begin by deciding that all of the numbers whose sum is to be estimated "cluster around" the number 500. You then pretend each number is 500, and there are six numbers. So, 500+500+500+500+500+500 equals 3000, not 3100. For 3100 to be the answer to any clustering estimation, you would have had to begin by deciding all the numbers cluster around the number 516.666666667 (which is 3100 divided by six).

Clustering is not my preferred method of estimation. As far as the "life skills" value of this method, it isn't as accurate as some others, but someone might want to use it if they just needed a very rough estimate. If my own kids have had trouble with concepts like this, I have always felt free to evaluate whether it's information that is of value to them and skip it if it isn't. Especially where they know one way of doing something and are having trouble understanding alternate ways, it can be confusing to some kids instead of helpful.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    In the first pdf you attached, "C" (3100) would be the answer if you were using the rounding method of estimation. The instructions are to use the clustering method. In that problem, you begin by deciding that all of the numbers whose sum is to be estimated "cluster around" the number 500. You then pretend each number is 500, and there are six numbers. So, 500+500+500+500+500+500 equals 3000, not 3100. For 3100 to be the answer to any clustering estimation, you would have had to begin by deciding all the numbers cluster around the number 516.666666667 (which is 3100 divided by six).

Clustering is not my preferred method of estimation. As far as the "life skills" value of this method, it isn't as accurate as some others, but someone might want to use it if they just needed a very rough estimate. If my own kids have had trouble with concepts like this, I have always felt free to evaluate whether it's information that is of value to them and skip it if it isn't. Especially where they know one way of doing something and are having trouble understanding alternate ways, it can be confusing to some kids instead of helpful.
    Thank you for your help! I still think they need better explanation for their lessons, especially when someone who just got a Master's degree and who took advance algebra can't even figure these methods!

Blog Entries

LOL! Sometimes I think it's harder to re-learn something or learn a new method of doing something we already know how to do than to learn it "from scratch". I sure wasn't taught the clustering method in school. I've probably learned more than my kids through homeschooling them!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    LOL! Sometimes I think it's harder to re-learn something or learn a new method of doing something we already know how to do than to learn it "from scratch". I sure wasn't taught the clustering method in school. I've probably learned more than my kids through homeschooling them!
    I don't think that's the case here, and I believe that If something is explained/taught correctly it wouldn't be that hard to re-learn a method or to learn a new one.

Just curious, but you seem to answer most of the questions on this of forum, are you employed by time4learning in anyway?

Blog Entries

I'm sorry you're disappointed in how these lessons are presented. These very lessons are how I learned this method, because, as I mentioned, I wasn't taught it in school. Different presentation styles appeal to different people. Time4Learning acknowledges that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all curriculum. It's not a reflection on anyone's intelligence. Learning styles, personalities, experience with other teaching methods . . . they all figure in to whether a particular curriculum is a good fit for a certain individual or not. There have been times I've had to explain things from certain lessons to certain kids in a way they might better understand.

I started using Time4Learning in 2006 after the birth of my sixth child, who has special needs. I had been a do-it-yourself homeschooler until then, but I was at a place in my life where I needed something more structured for awhile that my kids could often do without my help, since my son needed so much more attention than my previous babies. It was intended to be temporary, but it's worked so well for us that we have stayed with it for almost thirteen years now. Five of my kids have graduated from our home high school.

I have an agreement with Time4Learning to admin this forum, but I'm a longtime user of the program myself. I think it would be hard to answer the questions if you weren't an active user of the curriculum. The moderators here, too, are homeschool moms who use Time4Learning with their own kids.

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by Compass Learning Odyssey, who only provides it to schools. They have purchased a license that allows them to offer it to families and individuals. Since Time4Learning doesn't own the curriculum, they can't modify it, but they do pass comments such as yours on to the developer. Time4Learning has added tools to make the curriculum easier for families to use outside of a classroom situation. I'll share that this lesson presentation was confusing to one of our members and there's a good chance it might be modified in the future. Compass does try to appeal to all learning styles by using many teaching methods.