In for 12 years to life?
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default In for 12 years to life?

Ok, so tell me, how long are you in for? Are you a lifer?

What I should really ask is, how long do you plan to homeschool?
    Are you only doing it as a temporary stop gap until you move to another state/district?
    Elementary school only? Plan to homeschool through middle school?
    In for the long haul, through high school and beyond?
    Maybe you just don't know and are taking one day at a time.
    We would love to hear how long you plan to homeschool, why and how you came to that decision.
    Come on, give us a post!!

Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I began homeschooling my oldest when he was entering 5th grade and I graduated him in 2010. I began homeschooling my middle ds when he was in 3rd grade and he will graduate in Spring 2012. In elementary school we always took in one year at a time. When it came time for high school, we knew we were either totally in for those four years or that we needed to enroll them in school. In TN it is fairly difficult to move to a traditional classroom after homeschooling for a year in high school.

My youngest is now entering 3rd grade. I know that he will be at home until his brother graduate from high school, but summer 2012 after the second big boy graduates we will go back to yearly evaluations of what is best for our family.

Mandy

Thanks!! We never intended to homeshool until one day, just like that, it became the only reasonable option. I was terrified, but after four years of homeschooling, I honestly don't see us doing something different. We are in for the long haul, at least through high school, and maybe beyond, depending on if my daughter finishes high school early.
    Linda

Future Homeschooler Guest

Thumbs up

I think my wife would probably say... "we are going to take it year-by-year" so to speak. But if you ask me, I'm in it for the long haul. I think after middle school we'll give our kids the option to go back into public schools but to be honest, my kids don't like public school now. My oldest son is in the 3rd grade and he says the best part of his day is lunch. I think thats sad because my son is a learning machine! He loves to learn but I don't don't the public schools are fulfilling his desire or his need to learn new and creative things. We plan on teaching our kids affirmations (positive self talk), goal setting, time management, personal developement, wealth creation (compounding interest), entrepreneural skills, Kemetic Sciences (science and art of the ancient egyptians) and so many other things in addition to what they need to learn to meet state regulations. We teach our kids this now but we will be able to focus more attention on them as we homeschool. Our kids love learning new things.

So, to answer your question... the long haul

I have got to say, the long haul is what we are in for as well. There are so many other things for our children to learn besides the strict requirements, and there are so many things for us to share with our children. There just aren't enough hours in the day if we have to send them off to school for 7-8 hours of it.
    I hope homeschooling goes well for you and your family.
    Linda