Anyone for Museums?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Anyone for Museums?

Ok, Tennessee has a BAZILLION museums! (Ok, I admit, I never, ever, ever stretch the truth, all numbers are exactly the size they appear in your rearview mirror. LOL)
    There are a number of threads already out there regarding things to do in Tennessee, field trips, etc. My purpose with this string is to list several museums and see if you all will add to the list. Having things in one place, where you know you can go to look them up, sure helps me. I hope it helps you, too.
    It is my hope that this forum, and this string, becomes a place you feel comfortable exchanging information.
    Join in and feel free to add any museum listings that are your particular favorites. Please!

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

How about Childrens and Science museums
    Adventure Science Museum The first planetarium in Tennessee. Hosts HomesCOOL days, has teacher resources, exhibits, lectures and camps.
    East Tennessee Discovery Center A hands-on learning adventure, includes exhibits and homeschool programs.
    Hands On Museum A number of permanent exhibits including science experiments, and the ark, featuring diverse animal life from around the planet (taxidermied specimens). There are temporary exhibits , one now is about treasure.
    Hands On Science CenterAn indoor science playground with over 100 hands on exhibits.

Ok, I'm sure there are many more of these around the state. Any near you that you would like to recommend??

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Or maybe TRANSPORTATION is more your style?
    Beechcraft Heritage Museum A "living and working" museum dedicated to the tracing the history and lineage of the Beechcraft airplane.
    Casey Jones Home and Railroad Museum An authentic 1890's railway station, next to conductor, Casey Jones' home. Includes a replica of the cab of a 130 ton locomotive.
    Store includes a Thomas the Train corner/play area/reading nook.
    Chattanooga Model Train Museum Joint venture between Chattanooga Choo Choo and Chattanooga Area Model Railway Club, features an extensive HO scale train set up that required in excess of 50,000 man hours to complete.
    Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum Ninety muscle cars from the 50's. 60's, and 70's.
    Little Congress Bicycle Museum
    Tennessee Museum of Aviation Dedicated to preserving aviation history and honoring those who made significant contributions to aviation.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Perhaps Anthropology and Archeology are more your cup of tea???
    Lynn H Wood Archeological Museum Part of Southern Adventist University, a "near East" collection of more than 200 items from Egypt, Babylonia, Persia, Syria-Palestine, Greece, Cyprus, and Anatolia. Includes handwritten cuneiform tablets. (Disclaimer: no endorsement is given regarding religious content, note Adventist University connection, if this is of interest or concern to you, please investigate further.)
    Scarritt-Bennett Center Collection of Ethnographic Artifacts 1000's of objects from around the world including masks, dolls, pottery, and textiles with a mission of cultural education.

There are numerous museums which deal with Native American, particularly Cherokee, and African American heritage. I urge you to seek those that interest you and perhaps share them with us here.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

tnhomeschoolmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

The Pink Palace in Memphis has free summer memberships. Also, consider getting an ASTC membership so you can get in many Science museums free. Here's more information on how it works:
    Museum 411 - L.I.F.E. In Tennessee

We use our $35 family membership to get in free several times a year at Adventure Science in Nashville, Pink Palace in Memphis and NASA Space Center at Huntsville AL. It's a bargain!

Thanks for this update and recommendation. We travelled to Memphis this weekend on a mission with our childrens choir, and then to Shiloh National Battle Park. Stay tuned to the Tennessee forum for a rundown on the Shiloh fieldtrip sometime this week.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

lisaallen is offline Junior Member Newbie

There are many field trip oppurtunities in the Midlle TN area.
    Nashville Zoo @ Grassmer-: has monthly homeschool classes, also they provide a discounted annual family membership to homeschool families
    Nashville Adeventure Science Center- also has monthly homeschool classes, they also provide a discount for homeschool families (with this you also get free admission to the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center)
    Cheekwood Gardens- have homeschool days on Sept 1 from 10:00-2:00 kids are free, adults $10.00
    The Nashville Symphony- has free dress rehersals for most shows-see website for more info
    The TN State Museum- has Egyptian Days going on now thru Sept 4th-Free
    The Frist Art Museum- has free art activities once a month & children get free admission
    The National & State Parks are a great resource for Homeschool fieldtrips, most offer free activities and learning opportunities
    The local 4H has homeschool classes, co-ops and camps
    There are many more opportunities to learn just thought I would share the first few things that came to mind.

Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

There's a nice hands-on museum in Murfreesboro - Discovery Center - There's even a playground and you can take a nature walk as well.

Indoors, there's tons of stuff to do - but a favorite is the slide that goes from the 2nd down to the 1st floor.

Thank you so much for sharing. it is always great to get suggestions and recommendations from people who have been to the museums!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

I am new, please forgive me if there is something alreadyposted but I have not seen yet! Is there museums specific to Memphis that offer benefits to homeschoolers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast