Child finishes T4L quickly...what are good supplements for extremely fast learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hoohee is offline Junior Member

Default Child finishes T4L quickly...what are good supplements for extremely fast learner

My 2nd grader finishes lessons on Time4Learning very quickly and has mastered it all. He is a very fast learner and that is one of the reasons I decided to homeschool. I felt he was not reaching his full potential in public school and was being held back. I love T4L but I definitely cannot get the full 4 hours a day required by the state of TN with only T4L. What are your suggestions for supplementing T4L? I already use Spelling City and Book Adventure and still have time that needs to be filled. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I want to make sure that you are counting all the things in your school hours that you should.
    -Does he go outside and play? That is PE time.
    -Does he play with Legos or blocks of some kind? That is improving fine motor skills.
    -Can he help you bake cookies or muffins or something like that? He is learning to follow instructions, sequencing, math in the form of measuring, a little bit of science about temperature and cooking, and change of matter from liquid (batter) to solid (muffin).
    -Does he read books for fun or do you read to him? Either way he is expanding his brain and gaining knowledge.
    -Nature program on TV is science, as would be going outside and birdwatching, or seeing a squirrel and discussing how he is gathering nuts to supply him through the winter.
    -Homeschool playdate-please count that as socialization, everyone is so worried about that anyway!!
    -Field trips count as school.
    -If you are religious and study a Bible lesson, that can be school as well, count it as literature study, or history, or religion, not to mention that many stories could be considered character development.
    -Helping pick up his room, or sweep the floor, or bring laundry to the laundry room? Home economics.

Don't think you are cheating the system because this is not stuff that would count in public school. Homeschooling is not just about academics, but about all of the enrichment things that we can enhance their education with. You will find that homeschooling is a lifestyle, not just something that happens 4 hours a day. Everything can be a learning experience! Just because the public system does not have time for all of those extras doesn't mean that you should not count them in school time.

Now, if you are looking for more academics
    1) let him do more T4L, it won't hurt him, and if he finishes a grade before the school year is over, go to the next grade the flexibility and adaptability of homeschooling is a wonderful thing, isn't it!!
    2) offer reinforcing exercises (otherwise known as educational games) Learning Games for Kids is a great site, and one of the T4L family of sites,so you can trust the content. There are all kinds of games there from geography games, to math games, to keyboarding games. All of these are educational and can be counted toward school time.
    3) don't forget that you can get penmanship work off of Spelling City to use for school, either as penmanship or copy work

I hope this gives you some ideas as to what you can count toward school hours. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, and happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

That does help. I have thought of a lot of those but there are some that I haven't considered. What about video games? I suppose that would be considered fine motor skills or some could be PE (i.e. Wii)? This is my first year homeschooling and I guess I am a little uptight, too. I want to make sure he gets all the academics he needs. Thanks for the response and all your help!!

Video games can be fine motor skills, and build attention spans! Wii has been used in nursing homes to help keep residents active so I suppose Wii would definetly work for you son as PE!
    Here is one other thing we did a lot of when my daughter was the age of your son...we did "special projects". My daughter would decide on a topic, like dinosaurs, volcano and earthquakes, weather, horses, etc, and I would help her get pictures, and do research in internet, check out books on the subject from the library, and let her go all out and learn as much as she could about the subject.
    During the volcano special project we got a Smithsonian Volcano Kit and built and erupted that volcano, she drew volcanoes and labelled different part of the volcano (lava, magma, caldera, lava tube, etc), and we went online and looked for pictures of erupting volcanoes, then went the to globe and found out where they were, used clay and modelled the different types of volcano shapes and studied about Pompeii and Krakatoa. It was fun, educational, and taught more than just volcano stuff, it included research, art, hands on projects, social studies, etc. If you needed help setting one of these up you might check out lapbooking, notebooking, and unit studies.
    These special projects make great "electives" and can last as long as necessary.
    And, you can use these as they get older also, my 7th grader will be starting a "special studies unit" after Thanksgiving about barn management, equine management, and pasture management as we prepare for her to get her horse (probably next spring, shh, don't tell her!)
    Linda

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you so much!! This is such a help and I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.

Unregistered Guest

Default More School

Each student is different, but maybe :

foreign language (Discoverspanish is FUN) and Cambridge University has cool Latin books/program for younger kids, Getty’s Italics or some handwriting /art program, you can get language apps on ipad, too.

mapping...as in Learning to Map the World by Art, also one by Heart, and I think you could make your own program...the idea being to teach kids to map the entire world freestyle. If you have a projector, you can project maps on the wall, place paper where the map covers and trace. This can turn into thematic units if you wish. Typing is another option for kids..tons of software is available and you can do free at BBC Dance MAt Typing lessons. Not too young for learning movie making..and you can do anything with that. Gymnastics or any physical activity. Organizing, cleaning, and planning are skills to be learned...can even do a project on any of those. Drama? Music appreciation or playing an instrument.

Maybe Current Events...could be local or not
    Environmental
    Enteurprenurial ventures
    Continue math.. How about Life of Fred books? IXL on line practice
    Weekly Readers/ Magazines at home
    Big fat books ....do not underestimate what the kid can comprehend..perhaps audiobooks. How about Tom Swift books...or some mystery chapter books....
    Song Writing
    Work on syllables of words
    sign language
    Chess Master..or a chess club...you can start one
    A family recipe book/calendar...with photos and recipes....what a gift!

In 3rd grade, I wrote an autobiography..which included ancestry and photos. Priceless!

Educational music - write it, buy it , or get it free...Twin Sisters has a bunch..and there are many others

Many people recommend CRITICAL THINKING website for programs

GO JUMP! LEARN to ride a bike, ice skate, snow ski, etc.

Do you have BRAIN POP?? It’s $99. a year, but we enjoy it a lot.

Perhaps your child could register some voters or work on a political campaign.
    Design a website?

There are apps on ipad for drawing a book and adding sound.

-GOOD LUCK!
    Peg

Peg,
    great suggestions...every one of them! Thanks!
    Linda

JACCsMom is offline Junior Member

This was a great question with great information given. But, I wonder (since I haven't officially started homeschooling yet--plan to start in the fall) how do you mark attendance? Do you list out all of that stuff like you did above (ex. outside play-1 hr) or is it a more broad affirmation that, yes, we had 4 hrs of school time on this day. I just don't even know how that process is supposed to work. I guess my question is, is there an official form that has to be filled out a certain way that gets turned in to either your umbrella school or county office?

As far as I can tell, you have to keep the records however, how you do it will depend on a couple of things.
    1. Are you going to homeschool as the parent? If so, then your record keeping will be for the local DOE and you will have to follow whatever their rules are.
    2. Are you going to homeschool under a cover (church/umbrella) school? If so, then you will need to check with them to see what the requirements are.
    3. Are you going to educate your child at home using a distance learning school? If so, then you will need to check with them.
    In general, I think if you count a day as school then there would be an assumption that you schooled at least 4 hours in that day.
    Figure out if you are homeschooling/cover school/Category III school. Your choice will help you decide who to check with regarding how they want records kept.
    I'm not sure if this helped, but if it is still not clear please ask again and I will try to get a more concrete answer for you!
    Linda

JACCsMom is offline Junior Member

Thank you! I will be using an umbrella school (Homelife Academy).

I know they said they need grades and attendance record. But, I wasn't sure how detailed the attendance stuff had to be. So, I get a little confused by all the posts that say you can claim all of these non-curriculum based sort of things as school time too (which I agree SHOULD be counted as part of learning hours). Are you actually logging those times somewhere though, or just validating to yourselves that YES you have completed the minimum number of hours required because of these other things, so you don't feel like you are cheating the system if true "lesson" time only takes a couple of hours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast