I don't actually log each hour. I have a 2 partdisclaimer though,

1) We have beendoing this for 6 years, and I have a pretty firm grasp on how much she needs todo for me to call it a school day, and

2) I actually live in AL, my cover school nor my statelaws require a minimum number of hours per day, only a total number of days peryear, and since we homeschool year round, I have no trouble meeting the 180minimum number of days.

That being said, once you get started, I think you willfind a couple of things to be true, at least I did.

a) you willknow when your child is learning, and because of that you will have lesstrouble figuring out what is actually school time, because you can countwhatever time your child is learning in.

b) youwill find that 4 hours a day is plenty of time for your elementary schoolstudent to learn what he needs to know academically, and otherwise. The system knows that it doesn’t take 7 hoursa day (the amount of time they would have him in public school) because of thetime-eating distractions. They mustbelieve that 4 hours a day is plenty of time to teach the essentials,otherwise, they would ask you for more.

What mightmake things easier for you is to pick 2 days a week that you carefully documentyour school time. Don’t forget toinclude all those “extras” like naturestudies, PE time, etc. Document them interms that would apply if he were learning in a public school, for example,nature studies would be science. You arenot cheating the system by including those things. See how it works out for you, and see howyour other days compare to the ones you are documenting. I think you will be pleasantly surprised athow quickly 4 hours goes by, and how successful homeschooling can be in 4hours.

Let us knowhow things go!