Do you supplement for Science and Social Studies?
    JACCsMom is offline Junior Member

Default Do you supplement for Science and Social Studies?

I just tried registering through Gateway this week for my umbrella school, and they called me and told me that using T4L for LA & Math is fine, but I would need to find something else to go with the Science and Social Studies portions. I was surprised to hear this.

This is my first year homeschooling, and I was under the impression that T4L would be enough to cover the core curriculum.

So, my question is do you supplement for these courses? What do you use (I have a 3rd and 6th grader)? And what umbrella school do you use (if you don't care to share)?

Thanks for the help!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I would share my umbrella with you but the reality is I do not live in Tennessee so it wouldn't help you much! My umbrella school leaves it totally up to me what I teach, so it has never been a problem for us. I let my daughter move at her own pace for science (which is generally very fast) and completed the T4L offerings in science about a year or so early. Because of this I did supplement science. In T4L the science and social studies are really offered as a bonus and are not updated as regularly as math and LA which are kept at or above state standards. I hope this helped, maybe someone could chime in and tell you how they worked through science and social studies.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Tennessee Umbrella school

Quote Originally Posted by JACCsMom View Post
    I just tried registering through Gateway this week for my umbrella school, and they called me and told me that using T4L for LA & Math is fine, but I would need to find something else to go with the Science and Social Studies portions. I was surprised to hear this.

This is my first year homeschooling, and I was under the impression that T4L would be enough to cover the core curriculum.

So, my question is do you supplement for these courses? What do you use (I have a 3rd and 6th grader)? And what umbrella school do you use (if you don't care to share)?

Thanks for the help!!

This is Jennifer in Manchester. We do use T4L as our core curriculum and it is fine with HomeLife Academy. They are located in Jackson, TN HomeLifeAcademy.com | Home schooling

Hopes that helps! ~Jen

Unregistered Guest

Smile

Hello everyone. We are also new to home school this year (live in Smith County, 45 minutes east of Nashville.) I have a 5th grader and at this point, we have only registered with the county which was so easy. After researching for days, we decided to go with time4learning since it taught core math and language arts. I had the opportunity to view the SS and Science public textbooks for this year and it looks to me like all we will need to supplement for SS is TN history from civil war to present. I have a link to the online SS texbook if anyone is interested in viewing the table of contents. I plan to use www.tnhistoryforkids.gov as a supplement which has tons of vids, virtual tours, quizzes, etc. as well as do field trips across the state. It looks to me like the science curriculum for time4learning is good to go for TN. If anyone knows if I'm mistaken, please let me know

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

As far as I can tell Time4Learning science should be adequate for TN. Though the elementary/middle school T4L does not have science for higher middle school grades you can find middle school appropriate science within the Time4Learning High school program. Hope that helps.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

bowronfam Guest

I have a 3rd and 6th grader, as well. We're in Nashville! We use the Farm School as our umbrella because they are secular, do not require standardized testing and leave curriculum choices completely up to each family. They have been fantastic!!