Does T4L meet Tennessee State standards?
    Unregistered Guest

Question Does T4L meet Tennessee State standards?

Hi, my wife and I are looking to homeschool our 2 boys starting next year. We have viewed Time4Learning and other online programs and we absolutely love T4L. We would like to use T4L as our core homemschool curriculum. Is T4L recognized by the state of Tennessee as an accredited online curriculum for k-12? thank you in advance

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

T4L is not recognized by the state of Tennessee as an accredited online curriculum. Currently, K-12's TN Virtual Academy is the virtual school operating as an online public school for the state. It operates through the Union County public school system and is new this year. I expect more will be available next year as school systems see money that could be theirs going to Union County.

Here is an overview of homeschooling in TN. You can enroll with a distance learning program that is accredited by one of the five regional accrediting associations. T4L does not fall into that category.

T4L is used independent of the state and the public school system. It is not accredited by one of the five regional accrediting associations. T4L is a curriculum product. To use T4L and be in compliance with TN's compulsory attendance law you will need to register with your local education agency or with a church related school. Your LEA and most CRSs will then allow you to choose what curriculum you want to use.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Mandy gave excellent advice. The only thing I would add is the emphasis that Time4Learning is not a "school" it is a "curriculum" and "curriculum" can't be accredited in the same way as a "school".
    T4L, as a curriculum, is standards based, so it does meet, and in my opinion, exceed, standards for educational information presented in each grade level. Which means your children would get an excellent education using T4L, but if you are looking for accredited, then you need to check with your local church based school, LEA, etc. Like Mandy said, many of these will allow you to choose your curriculum, under their cover accreditation.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Future Homeschooler Guest

Thumbs up

Thank both of you for your replies. Yes, Mandy gave an excellent overview and answered my question concerning accreditation. In my research, I thought TN required that all homeschoolers use accreditation schools? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rules for the state of TN. We are not looking for accreditation schools because we feel as though these schools don't really have our children's best interest because these so-called "accreditation" schools are only concerned with meeting state requirements. WE want to be in control of what are kids are learning but provide the necessary skills that the state requires also.

If you can provide more information that would be great, but what you guys have provided so far is really, really helpful.

Thank you

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Future Homeschooler View Post
    In my research, I thought TN required that all homeschoolers use accreditation schools? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rules for the state of TN. We are not looking for accreditation schools because we feel as though these schools don't really have our children's best interest because these so-called "accreditation" schools are only concerned with meeting state requirements. WE want to be in control of what are kids are learning but provide the necessary skills that the state requires also.

If you can provide more information that would be great, but what you guys have provided so far is really, really helpful.
    Just go to your local board of education and register as a homeschooler. Then, you can pretty much use whatever you want. There are numerous church related schools that act as umbrellas. If you want one that is not religious, try The Farm School's umbrella program. Register through them and you can pretty much use whatever you want.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Here is one other place you might consider checking out. Tennessee Homeschooling and note at the far bottom of this page a section called the non-lawyer version of the law. I find the non-lawyer version so much easier to read!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!