Gatlinburg area field trips?
    MarcyKY is offline Member Newbie

Default Gatlinburg area field trips?

Jason and Allison.....my son (3rd grade) and I will be visiting the Gatlinburg area for a few days in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if you know of any fun "field trip" kinds of things we can do while there. We definitely plan to go to the aquarium, maybe take the trolley "national park" tour. Anything else you would suggest?

thanks!
    ~Marcy~
    homeschooling momma to Ben, age 8 (3rd grade)
    The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things. ~Plato
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sirgalahadacademy
    T4L Kentucky Homeschool Rep

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Gatlinburg area field trips?

Hi Marcy, I go to Gatlinburg pretty often. We only live a hour and half from there. You will really enjoy Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge Tn. There is so much to do there, you have DollyWood (amuzement Park) Dixie Stampede (Dinner show) Ripley's Believe it or not. WonderWorks (a upside down house with lots of games for the kids to play). And yes the aquarium is wonderful my third grader loves it as well. Actually we are thinking of going maybe one day next week. Enjoy your trip you'll have a blast!

Cindy

Sept 13-19th was Homeschool day at WonderWorks in Pigeon Forge Tn. I took my little girl on Friday then afterwards we went to the Hoot and Holler dinner show that is in with wonderworks. She had a blast there were alot of interactive things for the kids. I've never seen so many homeschool kids, which was a good thing. It's always nice to be able to do some fun things for free. Wonderworks is expensive, so we jumped at the chance to go for free.

On Oct 1st and 2nd the Biltmore Massion in Ashville has a discounted rate for homeschoolers. It's $20.00 a person, normally it's around $50 for adults. It's a beautiful place to visit. I've only been there once but hope to go back this fall, I'm sure it will be beatiful with all the fall flowers and leaves turning.

Cindy

the_gabels is offline Junior Member Newbie

We have posted many of the opportunities. We haven't been yet and it isn't educational but the miniature golf from Ripley's is on our list of things to do, they look amazing and have homeschool discounts. Another person noted WonderWorks which good friends of ours love.
    In another week or so, driving out of Gatlinburg and into the National Park will be more amazing than any attraction. Also check this site, http://www.eventsgatlinburg.com/ there are tractor rides, craftsman things, etc. all coming up, and I am sure there will be a corn maze somewhere nearby
    Dollywood is still open, but the temperature dropped a bit this week. I got an email about being able to get a free breakfast if you go there:
    FREE Aunt Granny’s Breakfast
    For a limited time purchase a full-priced, one-day Dollywood admission ticket online and receive a FREE breakfast buffet, including your beverage of choice, at Aunt Granny’s restaurant. (Voucher valid Oct. 2 - 31, 2009.)

Plus, with this special online offer, you’ll receive a ticket that guarantees you a seat at a Kingdom Heir’s show the same day at Dollywood. Visit Dollywood.com now to take advantage of this great offer!

Don’t miss all of your country-style breakfast favorites followed by Dollywood’s award-winning Kingdom Heirs quartet when you purchase your full-priced, one-day Dollywood admission ticket online.
    http://www.dollywood.com/special-off...ck=EMAIL090930

Sorry for the delay crazy couple weeks ... particularly the weather.

We are going to be going back to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg around the 15th of Oct. We can always find something to do there. Hope this time to hike up one of the highest Mt in Gatlinburg. We will see about that one but it's a great idea .

We usually spend about 4 nights there, just relaxing .

Cindy