Home School or Church-Related School

View Poll Results: What type of Home School Are You?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent Home Schooler

1 100.00%
  • Church Related (often refered to as umbrella)

0 0%
  • Satellite of Church-Related School

0 0%
  • Accredited Distance Learning

0 0%
    the_gabels is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Home School or Church-Related School

As many people in TN may know, the term "home school" gets thrown around a lot, potentially where it does not apply. The mistake can have legal ramifications. If you do not want to read through, please at least reply with what type of “home schooling” you are doing
    Independent Home School
    For example, my wife and I homeschool also referred to as "Independent Home School" the requirements are listed here http://www.tennessee.gov/education/h...irements.shtml. If you go for this option there is an interesting caveat to be aware of. Depending on interpretation of the law, time where the child is being taught or tutored by others does not count. This is not a big deal since TN requires 4 hours for a legal day, and we simply have the kids "go longer" if they are getting instruction elsewhere; but it could be an issue if you hae less than a friendly atmosphere with your local school board.
    So the co-op option that other states may have is not an option for an "Independent Home School" if counted as the child's hours for the day.
    Also if homeschooling HS students, pay close attention to curriculm requirments.
    The Church-Related Option
    This removes many of the requirments of an Independent Home School. You still have to register your kids with school district at 9th grade ... you only need a GED to teach them (even if your doing a college prep track). Note you are absolving the school system of providing support per se at this point, e.g. testing, special education, even school library use. You are essentially in a private school.
    Operate as a Satellite Campus of a Church-Related School
    Now we are getting out to the more wild, wild west options. Here there are no reporting, no testing ... technically the children are not homeschooled. But there are things to wary of, it is possible that localities (county or town) may have laws regarding the opertaion of a school that may apply to you (since you are a satellite campus)
    Distance Learning Program of an Accredited Private School
    While cyber charter schools are illegal in this state, it is possible for your child to attend a distance learning progam for a private school. This is typically the most expensive option and may have specific attendance requirements(so field tripping etc may be difficult).
    So which are you?
    I was kinda hoping everyone could sound-off as to which model they are doing? Since the laws are VERY different it is difficult to provide any general help to the group without knowing what they are doing.
    As a rule if you are not filing with the town (or only your high schoolers), and are paying someone to maintain your attendance … then you are probably doing the “Church-Related Option”. If you are dealing with a group that is not a church, you may need to check your status as TN has limited options except Independent Home School or Private School if you are not church related.

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Home School or Church-Related School

We are registered under a umberlla school, and we also go to a co-op class under another christian school. it does take about 4 hours to complete our work. I live in Kingsport Tn.

Cindy

the_gabels is offline Junior Member Newbie

Out of curiosity Cindy, since our first child is not in 5th grade yet and we have gone the Independent route. Have you had children in school in TN during 5th or 7th grade? Did your umbrella school provide the testing? (Is the umbrella school the "church-related" otpion or the private schoole option?

I know some people locally who are using an umbrella school (church-related) that is out of Memphis and they live near me in Athens. They have a child entering 5th grade and have heard nothing really about how they are going to deal with the required standardized testing and was wondering if you had any personal insight.

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

No I have never homeschooled 5th grade, I did homeschool my middle daughter in 6th grade but she wasn't tested. Lexie my third grader will be tested at the end of this year under her umbrella school. She goes to a Christian school for art class.

I live in Kingsport Tn, maybe we could connect sometime? I need all the support I can get. I am new at this too, I only homeschooled one year with my middle daughter then we sent her back to ps. I am hoping to homeschool Lexie through grade school anyway, but am also doing alot of prayiny, taking it one day at a time.

Blessings,

Cindy