Homeschooling 5th grade son -New to Tn- Son Desperately needs Friends
    Sethsmomma is offline Junior Member

Red face Homeschooling 5th grade son -New to Tn- Son Desperately needs Friends

Homeschooling 5th grade son - Tennessee -New to Tn- Son Desperately needs Friends

I just moved to TN in the beginning of September. This is my first year homeschooling him. He is doing great with the school work, however, since we just moved from Maryland he has no friends. We live about 45 mins. from Nashville. Does anybody know any groups or ways I can get my son involved so he can meet kids his age? Or if you live in the middle Tennessee area and would like to meet up please feel free to contact me. He is constantly asking me when he can find a friend and it is breaking my heart. He is in 5th grade and 10 Years old. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
    Thank You!
    Stacey
    Last edited by Sethsmomma; 01-06-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo

Unregistered Guest

Default Kids in your area

I would try the MTHEA.org site. They may have a link for homeschool activities in your area. I believe they also have a Facebook page. Good luck!

ywillnauer Guest

Default Meeting Homeschool Kids

Hi Sethsmomma,

I understand the frustration of helping your child to meet friends. I faced a similar challenge when I started homeschooling my four children. If you live near Hendersonville in Middle Tennessee and are not already involved with a homeschool academy, you might consider enrolling your son with Aaron Academy Homeschool. Like most homeschool academies, they offer tutorials and enrichment classes that your son can attend once per week in addition to his Time-4-Learning. This will give him the opportunity to do meet other homeschool children his own age as well as work in a classroom setting. It will also give you the chance to meet other homeschool parents and talk with academic advisors, should you need to. Additionally, there are monthly field trips and sport teams he can also get involved with. I provided a link to their website for your convenience.

Aaron Academy Homeschool Home Education. Your choice. Our Mission.

Good Luck

Unregistered Guest

Default Help with Homeschooling

I understand the frustration of helping your child to meet friends. I faced a similar challenge when I started homeschooling my four children. If you live near Hendersonville in Middle Tennessee and are not already involved with a homeschool academy, you might consider enrolling your son with Aaron Academy Homeschool. Like most homeschool academies, they offer tutorials and enrichment classes that your son can attend once per week in addition to his Time-4-Learning. This will give him the opportunity to do meet other homeschool children his own age as well as work in a classroom setting. It will also give you the chance to meet other homeschool parents and talk with academic advisors, should you need to. Additionally, there are monthly field trips and sport teams he can also get involved with. I provided a link to their website for your convenience.

Aaron Academy Home Education. Your choice. Our Mission.

Good Luck.

Sethsmomma is offline Junior Member

Great Thank You!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EHSMT/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/356676689816/

These are the FB groups for Eclectic Homeschoolers of Middle TN and Middle TN Homeschoolers. Perhaps someone in one of these groups can point you to someone in your specific area.

I know that Spring Hill and Columbia have a lot going on. I think Dickson has some stuff as well. A number of groups have field trips to the Nashville Children's Theater. So, if you are interested in driving into Nashville about once each month, that is nice but maybe not as social. I think Columbia has a bowling thing and there is a park day in Spring Hill. I am in Williamson Co. Most of what we do is in this area, so probably a little far for you, but I do have a 5th grade boy. There are tons of boys this age homeschooling so there are bound to be some out your way.

Have you checked yahoo groups and FB for groups in your county? I know the Spring Hill/ Columbia people have a lot going on. At one point, I knew some Homeschoolers who were involved with the Renaissance Center in Dickson so I suspect there is stuff going on there. The thing with Middle TN is that everyone and everything is pretty spread out, so you have to be willing to drive. I grew up in and around Mphs, and, when I go home, I am always amazed at how close everything is!

Anyway, if you are willing to drive into Dickson or Columbia/Spring Hill, I know you will find a ton of stuff to do.
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 02-14-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo