Introductions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By apatraw1980

Thread: Introductions

apatraw1980 is offline Junior Member

Default Introductions

Good morning all. I didn't see an "introduction" thread so I figured I could start one. My name is Amanda and I home school my 6th grade son and 7th grade daughter. We are in Middle Tennessee, about 30 minutes away from Nashville. We have been homeschooling since 2014 and have been using T4L for 2 years. We love how the lessons are set up and it helps us stay on track.
    If anyone needs encouragement, advice, new ideas I am willing to help if I can.

My son has never had any guy friends to hang out with, It has always been his sister's friends. I have been looking for a co-op in my area but I haven't found any yet. Still looking and hoping. I would even be willing to start a co op if there is enough interest.
    bailbrae and proud2Bgreen like this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there! I'm not in your area, but I did want to say hello and thank you for the introduction, and your offer to help newbies out. Good luck connecting with other members!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Introductions

I am researching all the options out there for homeschooling and/or online school. I would love to hear someone's perspective on T4L. I would be homeschooling my four kiddos...K, 1st, 5th, and 6th. But I am so confused. Here are my main questions:

1. This online version would keep attendance and grades...right? And then I just have to report them to someone? And specifically for younger ones...is curriculum online...and does it report their attendance and grades?

2. Testing...the way I have read the rules for homeschooling in TN is that they will be required to take TCAP...which is fine...but how does that work...will I just have to contact school or will someone contact me to set up time for them to test?

3. Will signing up for T4L fulfill what I need to get my children a great education? I am college educated...but it still scares me to know that I am responsible for their education...haha?!?!

4. My Kindergarten...does this curriculum work well for teaching them to read? That scares me too!!!

Thank you so much for anyone who takes the time to help answer these questions. I very much want to do right by my kiddos!!

Alisha Carpenter

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am researching all the options out there for homeschooling and/or online school. I would love to hear someone's perspective on T4L. I would be homeschooling my four kiddos...K, 1st, 5th, and 6th. But I am so confused. Here are my main questions:

1. This online version would keep attendance and grades...right? And then I just have to report them to someone? And specifically for younger ones...is curriculum online...and does it report their attendance and grades?

It keeps scores for parent information. It scores any online work, including quizzes and tests. You use the scores, along with anything you grade yourself (such as worksheets, writing assignments) to come up with a grade for the subject, using your preferred method. Or, many homeschool families do not bother with course grades until high school, preferring to just have their kids keep at an activity until they master it . . . in which case their grade would always be an A, so what's the point? No state wants you to report their daily grades.

2. Testing...the way I have read the rules for homeschooling in TN is that they will be required to take TCAP...which is fine...but how does that work...will I just have to contact school or will someone contact me to set up time for them to test?

In most cases, you will need to make the contact. In grades 5, 7, and 9, your child must take a standardized test administered by the commissioner of education, by someone designated by the commissioner, or by a professional testing service approved by the LEA. You may be present with your child during the 5th-grade test.

3. Will signing up for T4L fulfill what I need to get my children a great education? I am college educated...but it still scares me to know that I am responsible for their education...haha?!?!

I've used Time4Learning as our core for all six of my kids. Six have graduated from our home school so far, and they were ready for college at ages 16, 17, 16, and 16. Just signing up won't do it! The most successful students have parents who sit beside them at least part of the time when they are very young, check their reports regularly as they get older and don't neglect scoring things like worksheets and writing assignments, have them re-do things they score low on, and seek supplemental material on things they find REALLY challenging (YouTube videos, printable worksheets, or just an additional verbal explanation from Mom that makes sense to the student). In other words, although I was using an online curriculum, I remained responsible for teaching them (like a classroom teacher who might show her class a DVD . . . she's still the teacher!).

You will probably want to add penmanship for a very young child and add things the older children are interested in that might support their career goals . . . casual parental instruction in cooking or auto mechanics, orgnanized sports, piano lessons, 4H, Scouts, part time jobs or volunteer work ("life skills"), or additional specialized courses.

4. My Kindergarten...does this curriculum work well for teaching them to read? That scares me too!!!

My personal opinion is that teaching phonics and reading is what Time4Learning does best. I didn't use it from the start for my first three kids. My fourth one learned to read almost entirely by using Time4Learning. I did print the kindergarten readers and kept them around for her to practice with. They are marked as worksheets in the scope and sequence, and they are printable from there.

Thank you so much for anyone who takes the time to help answer these questions. I very much want to do right by my kiddos!!

Alisha Carpenter
    Good luck, Alisha! I hope knowing what has been successful for my family helps you come up with ideas to support your own particular situation. And I hope others come along to share what has worked for them, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!