New to Homeschool (K)
    Unregistered Guest

Default New to Homeschool (K)

I have 1 child going to Kindergarten this school year. Completely new to homeschooling.. We're from West TN and I'm just curious if I can rely on T4L as a complete curriculum and if anyone has any problems with the school systems using T4L. I was given a list of 'accredited' online schools so I'm afraid they will require more and I prefer to use 1 method to teach, not a bunch of diff sources. Plz any advice or opinions is appreciated. Thanks.> MK

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Homeschool (K)

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not in Tennessee, but maybe I can help get you started. I am not an attorney, so you should read and understand your state's homeschool laws yourself. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

Public schools are the worst place to get homeschool information. Well-meaning staff are usually uninformed and, in fact, surprised that real homeschoolers are exempt from many/most public school laws. If a public school is where you got your information, it's not surprising that you were offered lists of accredited online schools, which are NOT homeschooling.

Homeschooling is where the parent directs the student's education and creates and maintains all records while being responsible for following their state's homeschool laws. Each state has its own homeschool laws. In an online school, a third party is responsible for following the state's SCHOOL laws (NOT homeschool laws) and the third party directs the child's education. The third party creates and maintains all records (grades, credits, diploma, transcript).

Tennessee has six "homeschool" options in their homeschool laws. Only one option would really be considered homeschooling in most states. That is option one. It sounds like that is what you are interested in. The rest of the options are for affiliating yourself with some sort of school while doing the work at home. Here are the highlights for Option One (homeschool statute):

• The parent must have at least a high school diploma or GED.
    • Submit a Notice of Intent to homeschool to the superintendent each year.
    • Maintain attendance records, to be given to the superintendent each year.
    • Teach 180 days for at least four hours a day. (My note: Homeschool families legitimately consider arts and crafts, Scouts, 4H, music lessons, organized sports, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics as school hours.)
    • Submit proof of vaccinations or a waiver.
    • Have your student tested using a standardized test at the end of grades 5, 7, and 9.

To finally answer your question: The homeschool statute does not tell you what curriculum you must or may not use. It also does not dictate that you teach certain subjects (although you will want to teach in a manner that assures your student will do well on the three standardized tests they will take throughout their school years). Students who do well on their Time4Learning lessons usually do quite well on standardized tests.

I hope this helps!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!