New To Homeschooling - First Gradeer with Autism
    Unregistered Guest

Default New To Homeschooling - First Gradeer with Autism

Hello,

We are new to homeschooling as well as this site. Anyone have any resources they would like to share to help a child with special needs learn. He's very hands on and worksheets don't seem to do anything for him. He usually enjoys computers, but since starting this program he is liking it less and less. But still participates, willingly. I'm not extremely creative when it comes to thinking up things to do with him.

Also, I was looking for something social to get him involved in. We are located in Middle Tennessee, Nashville area. We only seem to find bible related groups and we don't follow the bible, so I'm looking for something else.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Krystale

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Krystale,
    First, let me welcome you to Time4Learning, we are glad to have you!
    Then, let me tell you that when kids first move to homeschooling, there are some ups and downs. Sometimes when the initial excitement wears off they hit a slump. I'm not sure about children with autism, but I know my ADHD child does not do change well at all. If you son is like that at all, just give him a little longer to see if adjusting to the changes makes school Thbetter.

Another thing I would suggest is to check out the Special Education and Special Needs forums. The parents over there might have some insight and suggestions for you to help you deal with your son's specific issues. While I don't have experience with autism we have been homeschooling for almost 6 years, so if you have homeschooling questions I will definetly try to help you! Good luck and let us know how things are going ok?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!