New to Time for Learning
    mdavenport241 Guest

Default New to Time for Learning

Hello,
    I'm starting up homeschooling in the new year. I have pulled my two boys out of public schools, and have decided to use T4L to finish the year. Any suggestions on where to start in the lesson plans? Thanks

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Here is T4L How to Homeschool Guide. Here is TNHomeEd. It is a good online reference for home education in TN. Also, check out this FAQ thread.

Where to start mid-year in T4L lesson plans is a difficult question to answer.

For math, I would suggest looking at the topics covered. Any topic that your children have already covered in school look though the information. If you feel that they already know the information, then you can either have them skip that section. If you are uncertain, have them attempt to test out of it. If they do poorly on the test have them do the section.

For the 6yo, I am not sure what the T4L K/1st grade has for science or history, but I think it is so little that you can just start at the beginning. For the 8yo, I am not sure if you are talking about a 2nd or 3rd grader. There is a huge difference between the science and social studies in 2nd versus 3rd grade. If your 8yo is in 2nd grade, start at the beginning. I know that the 2nd grade science and social studies are so little that you will still finish by the end of the year. With 3rd grade perhaps some of those topics have already been covered and then I would suggest just skipping whatever he has already covered. (Science and social studies are survey subjects rather than mastery like math, so don't get too stressed about this one. You could just pick whatever topics sound interesting to your kids and choose to cover those this semester.)

With LA and LAx it is truly difficult to suggest anything. You could view the tests as pretests and give them first. Then, assign lessons only in those areas where your child doesn't do well. Also, here is the link to Kelly's suggestions for 1st and 2nd grade LA and LAx.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I think Mandy gave you great advice. We don't know what the cause of you pulling your children from school was. If they are suffering academically then I would suggest starting at the beginning of the appropriate school year. Here is the beauty of homeschooling...if your child knows the material in a certain subject then don't dwell on it, move right along! You might find that your children will just zoom through Time4Learning, because it is so fun, and interactive. Don't let that worry you!

Please ask any questions you might have, and someone will try to help you! Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

mdavenport241 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on getting started. We are in our 2nd week and figuting it out. I think some of it is too elementary for my 2nd grader, and the 1st grader does well with the online part. I'm having a hard time keepiing the attention of one, while the other is on the computer. Any suggestions?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm really not sure how to handle that question because I only homeschool one child. There is never any need to entertain or educate another child. However, I think that some people put the child not doing computer lessons to reading or writing practice (penmanship or copy work). I know that my child being on the computer for school made it necessary for us to get a second computer for me to work on because sharing a computer became very difficult. You probably are not to that point yet. I hope that helps.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

My extra student brings her own computer and they do T4L at the same time. However, I agree with Linda, if they had to be on one at a time, I would have the one who was offline do copy work/ handwriting, composition, or reading. Another option is drill or working with math manipulatives.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

mdavenport241 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the input Linda and Mandy. The things you've suggested is what I've been doing, we will continue on that path for now.

Bethanie