Newbie in Murfreesboro
    Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

Default Newbie in Murfreesboro

My daughter is presently enrolled with Tennessee Virtual Academy. She has Aspergers syndrome, reflux, migraines, irritable bowel, sleep apnea - and I probably left at least one diagnosis out. I thought TNVA would be a good fit for her, but she puts so much pressure on herself to do well (she can't stand it if she doesn't make a 100 on a test, for instance, and worries that her teacher will think she's dumb) that it's not working for us as I had hoped it would.

I have come to the Time4Learning site several times over the past few months, and after she had 3 migraines in the past week, I've decided to withdraw her and simply homeschool. I registered her yesterday, and showed her how to log in and navigate the site today. We walked through a lesson together, and it was nice to see her giggling at the characters and enjoying learning again.

I'm hoping this is the right move. I'll be notifying her teacher on Monday to find out what I need to do in order to officially withdraw her. I will also be registering with an umbrella school so we don't have to worry about state achievement testing.

I look forward to fun times with Time4Learning!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Congrats on finding Time4Learning! It sounds like you have a good handle on what you are doing, but if you have any questions be sure to post.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thanks, Mandy!

My daughter has been doing great with Time4Learning. She loves the Language Arts activities - so I let her focus on them for a few days. I thought she would branch out to try the other subjects, but she didn't - so I made her a chart to show how many lessons in each category she needs to complete each week. She balked at that at first - but today, she actually did several lessons in Science and Math, without my prompting.

I am a bit lost as far as whether to add anything else in besides Time4Learning. She's about halfway through a Latin course from K12 (it's already paid for, and she's got until April to finish it). She loves languages, so I've ordered Rosetta Stone Spanish for her to do. She's great at spelling - but I'm wondering if I should do Spelling City with her to help boost her confidence?

We're winging it for now - but I'd like to figure out what to add in and such, so we can start a regular schedule after the holidays so any ideas would be appreciated.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

My little guy is fine with spelling and I didn't want to just add busy work, so he is using Spelling Plus and I am looking at using Spelling Power when he is finished. I know that there are spelling lists already out there on Spelling City, but honestly I haven't checked it out.

How are you liking K12 Latin?

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Dinomom,
    Spelling City is a great fit for a lot of families because it is so flexible! You can use spelling lists from the Time4Learning language arts, or use words from other sources. Spelling city even has stock lists, so if you don't have an idea on what to use they have some available. We are so glad that T4L is working out so far.
    My daughter is in 6th grade, ADHD, and we use T4L as our core curriculum. What we add to the mix is language (Spanish), physical education (riding and TaeKwonDo), music (piano lessons and choir), art (the time4learning art as well as another online program). My daughter is an avid reader, so that is not something I feel like we need to work on right now. She does need help with spelling, so we do extra work there. For the most part, I believe that my daughter is getting a better education in T4L than she would in public school, and so we are set for right now. Some families do not suppliment T4L at all, others use it as the suppliment for the other curriculum that they use.
    If things are working well, and you can tell that your daughter is liking school, and learning, then you can supplement as much or as little as you want to!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy in TN View Post
    My little guy is fine with spelling and I didn't want to just add busy work, so he is using Spelling Plus and I am looking at using Spelling Power when he is finished. I know that there are spelling lists already out there on Spelling City, but honestly I haven't checked it out.

How are you liking K12 Latin?

Mandy
    My daughter seems to like the K12 Latin program. She's in the Elementary version, so there is lots of animations and such, which is good and keeps her engaged. The lessons are fairly short - I thought there would be more content in individual lessons, but she is done with one in 10 minutes most of the time. I didn't get the version that has teacher support - but did get the one that will have a transcript and grade at the end to prove she's taken that particular course. I'm not sure if I would pay for the course again - I'm curious to see how Rosetta Stone works with her - It seems to be more comprehensive and actually teaches conversational skills, which is not a big focus in the K12 Elementary Latin course.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Dinomom,
    Spelling City is a great fit for a lot of families because it is so flexible! You can use spelling lists from the Time4Learning language arts, or use words from other sources. Spelling city even has stock lists, so if you don't have an idea on what to use they have some available. We are so glad that T4L is working out so far.
    My daughter is in 6th grade, ADHD, and we use T4L as our core curriculum. What we add to the mix is language (Spanish), physical education (riding and TaeKwonDo), music (piano lessons and choir), art (the time4learning art as well as another online program). My daughter is an avid reader, so that is not something I feel like we need to work on right now. She does need help with spelling, so we do extra work there. For the most part, I believe that my daughter is getting a better education in T4L than she would in public school, and so we are set for right now. Some families do not suppliment T4L at all, others use it as the suppliment for the other curriculum that they use.
    If things are working well, and you can tell that your daughter is liking school, and learning, then you can supplement as much or as little as you want to!!

Thanks for your input! I think the biggest thing I need to do - is make sure I've got her in the proper level of each subject. Math, I'm pretty sure 6th grade is where she needs to be - although she bombed a quiz this morning on rounding and when I was looking at the items she missed, it's all stuff that she knows how to do. When I wrote a few of the numbers from the missed items on paper, and asked her to round (without any multiple choice answers to view) - she did so correctly. Maybe having the choices confused her? At any rate, we're going to do that quiz over again this evening once she's ready.