Reason 975...

Thread: Reason 975...

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Reason 975...

Have you heard about the little boy in Tennessee who got pointed at and "oinked" at by teachers and peers?
    Here is an article about the incident.

I'm sure it is an isolated incident. There are many reasons why people homeschool their children and things like this make up only a portion of the reasons.

Why do you homeschool? Care to share your reasons?
    Please share why you homeschool, what drove you to the decision, or influenced you?
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

DBalt is offline Junior Member

While the messiness of my son drives me bonkers, I can't imagine reacting that way in public or private about it. My goodness.
    This year my son was kicked all over including the private area, and punched and pushed on the ground at recess... the teacher didn't see it... and she didn't communicate it.. and she definintely didn't do so with the other parents of the bully kid before or after my complaints to her. This was really a kid my son said was not usually like that and he considered him a buddy. And should it matter? should it matter if it was even a child who rarely gets in trouble? should it be allowed and ignored?
    I went to the principal over it... long story short. The parent still didn't get informed. I informed the dad at a field trip. Isn't that just great?! I get to bare the news. We both agreed that it was a bad situation and he said he would have acted (disciplined) with his son on it had he known from the teacher. It's sad that some educators can't even foster enough parent support to trust that a parent would address problems with their own child, and then of course, do little to nothing with what happened in a situation like this. At any rate, it will be ONE of MANY reasons that I am choosing to homeschool my kids next year. Not just because of the incident, but because of the lack of action and support by our educators and administrators whom we are supposed to trust for safety and action in school. - and just for the record... I've been in public and private education for years.
    Even I am looking at things like that and saying, what? really?? You just do nothing???

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the system. I just wanted to clarify that I am not anti-public school. I'm sure that for some children it is a better chioce than homeshooling. For some children public school is more "normal" and more educational than what they would receive in their own homes. I don't want to bash other schooling options besides homeschooling, but I do recognize that homeschooling is the best choice for us. I hope if you decide to homeschool that it is the right choice for your family, too.
    Best of luck!
    Linda

DBalt is offline Junior Member

I'm a public school educator myself... so I am not bashing the school system, but just our negative experience this year. His previous two years have been very positive. It can/will be different for anyone, absolutely. Had I been a teacher in this school, my child would have never been placed in this particular teachers classroom. Overall, there are just numerous reasons. I can imagine most have several reasons they choose to homeschool. This particular incident was just what started me thinking and praying more about it as an option. Because I never thought I would previously. I did not think I would have enough patience with my son. And I know I will still have to pray a lot every day! But now, I am really getting excited about it. Cautiously excited, but I am looking forward to it!

I completely understand. And you are right, most people have several reasons why they choose to homeschool when it was not part of the plan originally. I have always wondered why people think they might not have enough patience with their own children. Don't get me wrong, I lose my patience with my daughter on a regular basis. The thing is, I can lose my patience and still love her. Ican lose my patience, and still see my way clear to go back to school the next day. I think sometimes, if you don't have the love of your own child to fall back on, it is easier to see the child as a "problem child", or to give up on them. I thought my daughter's kindergarten teacher should have been canonized! She had to be a saint to put up with my child! Yet, I never would attach that title to myself for dealing with my own child. I guess the reason I was so impressed with the kindergarten teacher was that she didn't have to put up with my child, but she did. Often she would go and study on her own time to come up with ways to help my daughter through a tough time.
    Anyway, you deserve to be excited, you probably will have an amazing adventure!
    Linda