social skills for a nine year old
    rolysma@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default social skills for a nine year old

My 9 yo has been home schooled since some bullying occurred in kindergarten. He has been around adults all his life but not many children. He is now complaining he has no friends. I would like to find some way to get him involved in activities with other children. Any ideas?? We live in mcminnville tennessee in a very rural area.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Rolysma.

I've moved your post directly to the Tennessee Time4Learning Parent Forum. You may get some responses from members who are more local to you. I've also provided you with the direct link to the Tennessee Forum in case you'd like to post again.

This Information on Homeschooling in Tennessee page has a link for a list of homeschool support groups. You may have some luck in finding something that is not too far from you. These groups are great for extra-curricular activities or classes like music, language or art. Our support group has field trips, Spelling Bees, play time, sports and other things. Other than that, how about a 4-H club or cub scout group. How about Awana or something similar with a church or congregation? Some schools allow homeschooled students to participate in some activities, like sports or art. I would also check out the local library or community sports or activities for kids. Maybe contact your City Hall for suggestions on classes or sports for kids.

I hope you're able to find something. Even in a rural area, you should be able to find some other homeschoolers and put something together yourself if there isn't a support group already...or an after-school art class at your local library. Best wishes to you!!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Default Possible help

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My 9 yo has been home schooled since some bullying occurred in kindergarten. He has been around adults all his life but not many children. He is now complaining he has no friends. I would like to find some way to get him involved in activities with other children. Any ideas?? We live in mcminnville tennessee in a very rural area.
    Not sure if you are still needing help, but there is a place in Murfreesboro, the River Oaks Learning Center, my grandson has been going there for several years, they have a weekly social skills group meeting during the school year. Great place, Julie Allison is the lady who runs it.

blch39 is offline Junior Member

i have a 7 year old daughter im in the same situation with if you find out about any events or groups please let me know she has recentley joined girl scouts thats been great maybe they have boy scouts in your area?

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: social skills for a nine year old

I'm a little late to this party It's kind of shocking to me the difference between the number of views that posts in this forum have as compared to the number of replies.

Anyway, have you considered Scouts or sports teams through the YMCA or something like that? (I'm not sure if McMinnville has a YMCA but they're bound to have Scouts). Our pediatrician recommended "non-competitive social interaction" for our 8 year old and we started with Scouts. He also does a Tae Kwon Do class twice a week but that's more of a solitary practice in a group setting. We're considering music lessons this fall. We just don't want to overwhelm him.

Just thought I'd let you know what we tried. Good luck!