State Mandated Testing
    TnMimi is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default State Mandated Testing

Hi. I am new to homeschooling, and because of the cost of joining an umbrealla church-related school, I have decided to register as an independent. So far, I just have 1 question I can't seem to find the answer to. Will I somehow work out my granddaughter's mandated testing (for 5th grade) such as TCAP with her assigned public school or will she only be tested if and when she returns to public school? We are starting this mid year. Does it depend on the policy of your school district? Our district doesn't have any info about this on their website (Collierville Schools). Any help is greatly appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: State Mandated Testing

Tennessee has three "homeschool" options. Only the first is actually homeschooling (independent homeschool, where the parent directs the child's education). The other two are "school at home" (enrolling in an accredited church school or a private distance/online school). Even lawmakers often don't understand the difference, which makes following the laws confusing. Accredited church schools and distance/online schools follow the SCHOOL laws in the SCHOOL's state. Independent homeschoolers follow the HOMESCHOOL laws in the CHILD's state.

In Tennessee, Independent homeschoolers (first option) only need to be tested in grades 5, 7, and 9. You can contact a professional tester to do this, and you can choose a test other than the TCAP. Search "standardized testing". However, the law says your local school district coordinates this, so they need to figure out how to help you. Here is the best information I found about this, as it's the Tennessee government site for homeschoolers. Look at the last three FAQs on the following page.

Homeschooling in Tennessee

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Sflynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Re: State Mandated Testing

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Tennessee has three "homeschool" options. Only the first is actually homeschooling (independent homeschool, where the parent directs the child's education). The other two are "school at home" (enrolling in an accredited church school or a private distance/online school). Even lawmakers often don't understand the difference, which makes following the laws confusing. Accredited church schools and distance/online schools follow the SCHOOL laws in the SCHOOL's state. Independent homeschoolers follow the HOMESCHOOL laws in the CHILD's state.

In Tennessee, Independent homeschoolers (first option) only need to be tested in grades 5, 7, and 9. You can contact a professional tester to do this, and you can choose a test other than the TCAP. Search "standardized testing". However, the law says your local school district coordinates this, so they need to figure out how to help you. Here is the best information I found about this, as it's the Tennessee government site for homeschoolers. Look at the last three FAQs on the following page.

Homeschooling in Tennessee
    Hi Kelly and thank you for the information. If I am doing time4learning exclusively Which category does it fall into for Tennessee?

Sflynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by TnMimi View Post
    Hi. I am new to homeschooling, and because of the cost of joining an umbrealla church-related school, I have decided to register as an independent. So far, I just have 1 question I can't seem to find the answer to. Will I somehow work out my granddaughter's mandated testing (for 5th grade) such as TCAP with her assigned public school or will she only be tested if and when she returns to public school? We are starting this mid year. Does it depend on the policy of your school district? Our district doesn't have any info about this on their website (Collierville Schools). Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I just joined as well and I joined Aaron Academy as my umbrella school. They are very affordable and keep all my records and make sure all testing is done correctly

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning falls under the Independent homeschool option.

Tennessee offers two other options: Church-related school (which could be you, if you are enrolled in a church school that allows you to choose your own curriculum) and distance learning school (which is NOT the case for you, because Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum . . . NOT a school).

If you choose the independent homeschool option, you do not have to be associated with an umbrella school. The records Tennessee requires are very easy to keep. You can print most of them right from your parent dashboard. You will need to find an independent testing facility at the end of grades 5, 7, and 9 or ask the commissioner of education to find one for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!