To Supplement or not to Supplement...that is the question
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default To Supplement or not to Supplement...that is the question

This came up as a different question, in a different form, but it was an idea that I thought I would bring to you all, and see what your way of dealing with this was.
    Do you supplement T4L? Do you add worksheets? Do you study other books or curriculum? Do you use T4L as a self contained entity? If you supplement would you tell us how and with what?
    If you donít supplement, why not?
    Iíll tell you what we do at our house. We supplement everything. Not because I donít like what T4L presents or how they present it, but because my daughter seems to need more input, on everything. She is like a sponge; she just absorbs everything I throw at her. Thatís not bragging, by the way, itís exhausting LOL! My daughter does not write well, hates to repeat things, doing worksheets is like pulling teeth. So our answer to this is to get the same information several different ways, from several different sources so that it looks different.
    So, to supplement or not to supplementÖ.that is the question.
    Linda
    State Rep,
    Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

emredhead76 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Yes, we supplement. Not because T4L doesn't cover the basics, but because I think that certain areas need more reinforcement to be retained. We do workbooks for additional math practice and vocabulary. We also do spelling. This system works well for us.

Thanks for you input! I am so glad that T4L works well for your family. It works well for us, too.
    I thought I would clarify how and what we suppliment.
    We add: music, art lessons, Spanish, TaeKwonDo (as our PE). We also do word ladders for help with spelling and vocabulary, because like you mentioned, some things need more reinforcement.
    We also have what we call special projects. These are studies that I think are important, or timely, or something my daughter has a particular interest in...dinosaurs, volcanos, earthquakes, etc. She gets to spend extra time studying those things.
    When traveling on vacations or to see family we also add some workbook work that can be done in the car, (and to have "paper work" to show as school to relatives who might not understand that the netbook IS school, reallly it is!)

Linda
    Rep, moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one child for 4 years with Time4Learning!

DBalt is offline Junior Member

I am thinking next year we will also supplement with some of the classical approach... a little more history on our own, and Saxon Math a long with some phonics and so forth. T4L could be all they do on some days. I am also thinking it might be alternate days that we do T4L and then regular seat work etc...
    Have any of you accomplished lapbooks with your children? I've been reading about those more. I never did these in a classroom while teaching but similar things/ concepts. Looks like fun.

We have not done lap books because my daughter has no patience for the sitting and cutting and pasting. Her tolerance for doing such work is non-existant! Likewise, we do not do a lot of "conventional" seat work because if I have to force her to do that she will balk and we will get nothing done. Fortunately for us she works well on T4L, and the types of suppliments we do. Every child is different and if you think your children will work with the classical and seat work that is wonderful! Isn't it great that we can tailor make the course work for our children while homeschooling?
    Thanks for responding, and feel free to jump in any time you have a question or suggestion.

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one child for four years with Time4Learning~!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Do you supplement T4L? Do you add worksheets? Do you study other books or curriculum? Do you use T4L as a self contained entity? If you supplement would you tell us how and with what?
    If you donít supplement, why not?
    My youngest will be attended Classical Conversations and taking art, drama, and violin lessons. He also does Kumon math and at the end of September will be going to a math tutor to go broader with math instead of plunging ahead. We do better with more going on and more str

Quote Originally Posted by DBalt View Post
    Have any of you accomplished lapbooks with your children?
    We have done some lapbooking. Whether you purchase a lapbook or create it from scratch, I strongly suggest separating the cutting and organizing time from the teaching, learning, assembly time.