TCap Testing in Nashville
    Clays Mom Guest

Thumbs down TCap Testing in Nashville

Have you been told you are breaking the law since your child is not registered in a State recognized school and that your child will not be allowed to take the TCAP test the next two weeks?

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

No, I have not heard such nonsense. LOL I would just assume that they were ignorant of homeschool laws. The only reason a child who is educated at home would be taking the TCAPs would be if that child is in grades 5 or 7 and registered with the LEA or if that child is registered with K12 through TNVA.

If your child is registered as a homeschooler with your local board of education (Local Education Agency- LEA), they take whatever standardized test is required in grades 5, 7, and 9.

If you are registered with K12 through the TNVA, then they will arrange TCAP testing for you. The state views your children as public schoolers.

If you are registered with a distance learning institution that is accredited by a regional accrediting agency (Calvert, K12, Keystone, etc.), you follow their rules. The state views your children as private schoolers.

If you are registered with an umbrella program (Church Related School), you will follow their rules for testing prior to high school. A CRS will report their high school students to the LEA. The state views your children as home schoolers.

If you are registered with a CatIV Jeter Memo school, you will follow the rules of your private school. The state views your children as private schoolers.

I don't usually feel the need to educate non-homeschoolers on the laws governing home educating children in the state of TN unless they are considering home education for their family. When someone gets snarky, I usually just shrug and tell them that they don't need to worry about my children. That is my job. Pass. The. Bean. Dip.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 04-24-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Clay's Mom, I just want to second what Mandy has said, she always gives great, real life advice, since she has successfully homeschoold for a long time. Besides, what law would you be breaking? Make sure you know the homeschooling laws and are covered.

Mandy, LOL, I love the:
    "When someone gets snarky, I usually just shrug and tell them that they don't need to worry about my children. That is my job. Pass. The. Bean. Dip."
    What a perfect answer!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!