Tennessee

Thread: Tennessee

Unregistered Guest

Default Tennessee

Are you required to have a 4 year degree to teach your high school student in Tennessee ?

Unregistered Guest

Default i would also like the answer to this question

i would also like the answer to this question

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

From what I read in the law, "Possession of a high school diploma or GED by the parent-teacher;" is all that is required. But you should always read the law for yourself.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Minimal requirements to HS in TN

Parents may home school their own children pursuant to Tennessee Code Annotated § 49-6-3050 by registering with their local school district. The law states that independent home school students must: “Provide annual notice to the local director of schools prior to each school year of the parent-teacher’s intent to conduct a home school and, for the purpose of reporting only, submission to the director of schools of the names, number, ages and grade levels of the children to be home schooled, the location of the school, the proposed curriculum to be offered, the proposed hours of instruction and the qualifications of the parent-teacher”; Maintain attendance records and submit these records to the Director of Schools at the end of each school year; and Submit proof of vaccination and receipt of any health services or examinations as required by law. Parents choosing this educational option should begin by contacting the local school district. The parent will be required to complete an Intent to Home School form and provide evidence of a high school diploma or GED. Student attendance (at least 4 hours per day, 180 days per year) must be reported to the local school district at the end of the school year.

Testing of independent home school students is required in grades 5, 7, and 9 and coordinated through the local school district.