unable to graduate -don't waste your money!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By katshu2
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: unable to graduate -don't waste your money!!

Unregistered Guest

Angry unable to graduate -don't waste your money!!

This program is not recognized in TN and my daughter is now a year behind. She cannot return to school and cannot participate in graduation ceremonies. She must retake her courses from this program and then complete classes still required for graduation through the adult high school. A 17 yr old girl should not have to go to adult high school. Do not waste your money on this program!!!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: unable to graduate -don't waste your money!!

I'm sorry about the experience your daughter is having, but according to TN state homeschooling laws, it doesn't look like the state cares what curriculum you use (if you are an independent homeschooler...there are other options in the state, like a charter school and an accredited online school -- those may have different requirements). They do state that to reenter the public school system, students must test in each subject for credit towards graduation.

https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/home-schooling-in-tn

There have been MANY TN families that homeschool AND graduate a student successfully.

Can I ask why she needed to reenter the school system? As an independent homeschooler, if you feel like she has earned the correct credits to graduate, then you can issue her a homeschool diploma. As she applies to colleges, you can use her homeschool transcripts. Colleges don't care about curriculum either, they care about transcripts.
    Kaite likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Before homeschooling your child, you must know and understand your state's homeschool laws. It is important to know the difference between homeschooling and enrolling in an online school. Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling". That is not correct. There are a completely different set of rules that must be followed. I'm sorry you did not understand that you were signing up to homeschool your child and not enrolling her in an online school, but all is not lost.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma (if the student was homeschooled legally). Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

Time4Learning is not an online school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, so the parent is responsible for maintaining all records and issuing a diploma.

Until high school, public schools will enroll a previously homeschooled students at the grade level that corresponds to their age. At the high school level, they will still enroll your child, but they do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit. Many high schools have a way for your child to test to prove their homeschool credits, but many will require the courses to be taken again, since they don't want to take the parent's word for it that the work was done.

If you have legally homeschooled your daughter, she can graduate from your home school any time you feel she is ready. The public school system will not issue a diploma for work they did not oversee. You decide what your child needs to do to graduate from your family's home school and, when she has done it, you issue and sign her homeschool diploma. Time4Learning does provide diploma and transcript templates within your parent login account.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

My daughter graduated after using the curriculum. I created a transcript and diploma. She's starting her second year of college. T4L isn't a school, so they won't award those things. Homeschooling parents will need to do it.

Sflynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    My daughter graduated after using the curriculum. I created a transcript and diploma. She's starting her second year of college. T4L isn't a school, so they won't award those things. Homeschooling parents will need to do it.
    Robin, If we are part of an umbrella school they will do this for me correct?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Every umbrella school is set up differently. There is enormous variation in the services they provide, so you need to check with the individual school to see what you are purchasing. There may be few standards for setting up an umbrella school, but there are rules they need to be following if they intend to actually issue a diploma to their students.
    Sflynn likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!