What do you find most difficult about homeschooling in Tennessee?
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default What do you find most difficult about homeschooling in Tennessee?

Do you have a pet peeve about homeschooling? Are there statutes that you find difficult to comply with? Is there something about homeschooling in Tennessee that just drives you nuts? There are two things I find...um...interesting?...about the Tennessee homeschooling laws.
    First, the 4 hours a day rule. Not 8 hours in 2 days, not 20 hours in a week, not 720 hours in a school year...4 hours a day. If you school 7 hours on Monday, and 1 on Tuesday, in Tennessee you have not complied with the 4 hours a day rule, even if your total is 8 hours for 2 days. How many of you have to manipulate your hours? Plead the 5th and don't answer that, lol.
    Second, the baccalaureate requirements for homeschooling high school parent/teachers. This only applies to "independant homeschoolers", not "homeschoolers", or "private schoolers" or CRS "faculty, or CRSs, (all of these being types of homeschoolers). And you can apply for an exemption to this, except historically it is almost never granted.
    Please drop us a line here and let us know what irks you, frustrates you, or just confuses you. Please!

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

medtranslaurie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I am new to this homeschooling thing, so new that we are not starting until next school year. I have a zillion questions but I won't bombard you all at once. Going back to your post on the 4 hour a day rule, how strict are they on what you do during those 4 hours? Is that strictly for the core curriculum of math, science, language arts, and social studies? Can you include music lessons, foreign language, or phys ed in those 4 hours? Also is that 4 hours a day 5 days a week or 4 hours a day 180 days a year? I have heard both ways. In other words, can you do 3 days one week, nothing the next week, 6 days the next week, etc. depending on your schedule?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi, and thanks for posting. The only way to find the answer to the zillions of questions that pop up when homeschooling is to ask, ask ask!
    It is good to plan ahead, know what you are in for...
    As for whether it has to be 5 days a week or 3 days then 6 days, then whatever it takes to make up the 180 days, I can only tell you that my original post was my interpretation of the law. (And of course, the disclaimer, that this does not constitute legal advice!) I would think that you could certainly include music lessons, foreign language, and phys ed in those 4 hours, after all, were your children in public school they would count foreign language and PE towards the hours they had to show for a day of school.
    Maybe someone else from this board could step up and share their interpretation of the law, or their experience of what works or doesn't work. Anybody??? Maybe the more of us who weigh in and share our experiences and opinions, the more clear the picture will be.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!