HI I am in Austin and would like to start homeschooling my 1st grader
    caswelljessy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile HI I am in Austin and would like to start homeschooling my 1st grader

HI my name is Jessica and I would like some information of how to start homeschooling my 1st grader here in Austin and what are the guidelines or requirements that I have to meet. Thank you

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HI I am in Austin and would like to start homeschooling my 1st grader

Hi, Jessica!

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

This one-minute video does a good job explaining how Time4Learning works.

You are in the right state for homeschooling! Texas only requires that your homeschool program not be a "sham" (meaning that you are actually teaching your child and not just claiming to homeschool to keep them out of school) and that your curriculum is in "visual form" (meaning books or computer screen; you can't just discuss things with your child and call that "school"). You need to teach reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship. Texas doesn't specify anything at all about the content of those subjects, so anything that can reasonably be called "reading" or "spelling" or "math" is fine (and every curriculum you might choose will be somewhat different). Time4Learning teaches good citizenship throughout the grade levels within the social studies courses.

That is all! There are no testing or notification requirements in Texas, but it's usually recommended that you formally withdraw your child from the school they are currently attending to avoid being mistakenly identified as truant. If the school wants to know which school your child is transferring to, the answer is "homeschool" . . . not "Time4Learning." Time4Learning is the curriculum you are using, not the school. If you were using textbooks, you would not write the name of one of the textbooks as the name of your school, and Time4Learning is a textbook alternative . . . not an online school.

I'm not an attorney, but I have some experience understanding homeschool laws. My disclaimer is that you should always know and understand your state's homeschool laws yourself, but that I can at least help you get started. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website. Be sure you are looking at HOMESCHOOL laws and not SCHOOL laws, as they are very different.

Enjoy exploring!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!