Just moved to Texas
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Just moved to Texas

Unregistered Guest

Exclamation Just moved to Texas

I just moved to San Antonio, TX from another state and I would like to homeschool my son but I am unsure as to how I can start. I was told by one of the homeschooling groups that I needed to have my son attend a brick school in Texas (he attended brick schools in our previous state) for one year prior to enrolling him online. Has anyone has a similar experience or know if this is true? This was not the case for enrolling in our previous state when I looked into it last year.

please help!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hey there. I'm not in TX, but I did some digging, and I don't see anything in the Texas homeschool laws that state a child has to attend a brick and mortar school before being allowed to be homeschooled.

You might be able to find more info on this Homeschooling in Texas page. Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

I am from TX. I just started using T4L within the past week to test it out. I've been homeschooling for 2 years now. My guess about what you were told is that if you want your child to attend a public online charter school, the state requires that the child be in a traditional brick and mortar school in TX before being able to transfer to the online charter school. Online charter schools are different than homeschooling. Online charter schools are required to meet the same requirements as public brick and mortar schools including attendance records and state standardized testing (STAAR).

gingerdr is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Just moved to Texas

I am a veteran homeschool mom from Texas and there is no better place to homeschool than Texas. There are NO Regulations.

My advice to you is RELAX and ENJOY every minute of it. These days go by to fast.

*I have investigated education issues for years and believe me every child is better off out of the Public School System.

Unregistered Guest

You do not have to go to a brick and mortar prior. Contact the THSC (Texas Home School Coalition) they have all the states requirements on line. I home school 5 children and have never heard of that being a requirement. Live in Uvalde County.

Unregistered Guest

If you want your student to attend an online based school like k12 or Tx Connections Academy, then they would need to go to public school before being transferred to the online school. However, I've heard of kids only attending public school for the last 3 weeks of the school year--when public schools don't do anything anyway--and then starting the online schools in the fall.