new to homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mooretnfans05

Thread: new to homeschooling

mooretnfans05 is offline Junior Member

Default new to homeschooling

Hi, we are new to homeschooling and have some questions. Our daughter took her first chapter test in social studies yesterday and did not do well. She completed all the lessons leading up to it and took notes and made flash cards to study. She felt prepared but the test covered material she nor I had seen in the lessons. Now she has a failing grade and we are confused as to what we missed and how to fix it. Is it possible to retake a test? How do we prepare her if the material on the test isn't even covered in the lessons? I am also confused as to the parent guides and how they relate to the work she is doing from the lesson plan. We aren't opposed to work but this seems excessive and I can't imagine how she could get it all done. She is doing homeschool by herself so a lot of the things in the guide don't seem to make sense for her. Is the guide just that an extra resource or is it supposed to be completed?? How do we determine her actual grade in a subject? The report lists quiz and test grades but nothing for classwork or the worksheets she does on her own. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at this point so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Sarah

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sarah. What grade level of social studies is your daughter working at? A good test will ask questions in a way that requires the student to demonstrate that they not only memorized the material presented, but understood it well enough to apply it to other situations.

Yes, the tests can be retaken as many times as you like. Just click on the icon again. If you aren't seeing a new test, clear your browser's cache (cookies and history), close and reopen the browser, and try again. Tests will be a little different each time they are attempted, because a small selection of test questions is drawn from a large bank of potential questions. Again, this is to prevent a student from simply memorizing the answers to specific test questions.

The parent guides can be compared to a teacher's edition in a "books on paper" curriculum. They are simply ideas for expansion. A dozen teachers can use the same curriculum, and each teacher's students will have a different experience. One teacher may not choose to use any of the ideas in the teacher's edition, another may use one idea and blast through the unit in a week's time, and another teacher may use three or four of the ideas and take a month to cover the same material. I had a teacher who routinely showed her vacation slides to reinforce her class's geography study. You do not have to use the teaching guides at all if you do not wish to do so. Or, you might want to consult them if your student seems to need a little more practice with a certain concept. I'm pretty sure no one does everything in the teacher's guides. (At least, I hope not!)

She is doing homeschool by herself? In homeschooling, the parent is the teacher and directs the student's education. Someone needs to set up an activity plan (or decide to use another option for determining what will be done when), check the student's scores regularly, decide which (if any) worksheets to use and grade them when they have been completed, print and grade writing assignments, and be available when the student has questions. Although the lessons are designed to be worked independently by the student, there needs to be a teacher involved also.

The student reports are for the teaching parent's information. You can use the information on the reports to calculate a "grade" your own way. Many homeschool parents do not award grades, since they were designed so a teacher could let a parent know how the child was doing . . . and, in homeschool, you ARE the teacher. Teachers may also each use a different method of calculating a final grade. Some give more weight to tests, some grade worksheets and others simply give pass or fail grades on worksheets. As the teacher, it is up to you to calculate a final grade your way, if you decide to use grades.

Some of the activities are teaching activities. They will not receive a score. Compare these to a teacher, standing up in front of the class and explaining how to do something. Even though the teacher might call on a few students to answer a question or two during her explanation, no one receives a grade for this type of teaching activity. That is why you will see N/A instead of a score in some columns.

Other activities are practice activities. Some of these will receive a score. They are designed so the student can practice what they have just been taught.

Other activities are assessment activities. All of these will receive a score. They are the quizzes and tests.

You will find answer keys for worksheets in the lesson plans/scope and sequence within your parent login.

I hope this clears up a little bit of your confusion. Please let me know your student's grade level, and I'll take a look at the social studies lessons leading up to the first test. Also, please let us know if you have more questions.

You might want to take a look at the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mooretnfans05 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the reply! She is in 7th grade. I was able to see and print her test today and after reviewing it with her I think she just didn't read and then reread the questions before she answered. Some of them she couldn't believe she missed! She will be reviewing the test and retaking it this weekend. When I said she was homeschooling by herself I simply meant she is the only one of our children homeschooling. I am working with her and trying to fill the role of teacher, something that is new for both of us. I read through the welcome to homeschooling guide today as well. I think this is a good program for her and we are just getting started. I appreciate your response and support. I suppose you would call us accidental homeschoolers as we are mainly doing this due to her health issues but we are committed to getting her the best education we can!
    bailbrae likes this.