New to homeschooling..and nervous
    Unregistered Guest

Smile New to homeschooling..and nervous

Hi Everyone,

My name is Melissa. I made the decision this year to homeschool my kids. I am excited but also feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Do I get to pick the curriculum for my children or do I have to follow any rules? Do we have to report their progress to anyone? I just want to make sure I do everything I am supposed too. I have to withdraw my children from school, hopefully they do not give me a hard time. Is there anything I have to do besides give them a withdrawal letter? Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to homeschooling and T4L. Feeling overwhelmed means you are very normal. LOL Yes, you can pick your own curriculum. Texas has very little rules to follow.

Here are links to help you know exactly what you must do:

Texas Homeschool Coaliation

Frequently Asked Questions about Homeschooling in Texas

Texas Education Agency

T4L Texas Homescholing Info (the title of TAKS is no longer used, it is STARR now. The page has been updated but somehow the title name didn't get changed)

Be sure to keep us informed.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

BeccaB Guest

Smile

Hi Dear,

I would recommend using Texas Homeschool Coaliation to help you withdrawal your kids from school. I had a very hard time with the school that my son attended at the time, but with THC I was given the guidance and assurance needed. They also provide you with legal support/advice IF you ever need it.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Melissa. I made the decision this year to homeschool my kids. I am excited but also feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Do I get to pick the curriculum for my children or do I have to follow any rules? Do we have to report their progress to anyone? I just want to make sure I do everything I am supposed too. I have to withdraw my children from school, hopefully they do not give me a hard time. Is there anything I have to do besides give them a withdrawal letter? Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I am Angela. .. they are right Texas Homeschool Coalition is a great place for you to start... don't be scared or nervous there are thousands of homeschoolers and lots of support groups out there also...I would love to help with any questions you might have...I have been homeschooling my kids now for five years now and I still love it!!!

Tooterhead81 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! I am homeschooling in Terrell, Tx. My daughter is in 1st grade and I am not sure how to introduce the spelling words. How do I know which ones to choose and how many do I assign each week? Any help would be MORE THAN appreciated!!