Newbie...please help.
    samanthanavy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie...please help.

Hello everyone, my name is Samantha and I am wanting to home school my kids this year. I want to make sure I am following all the laws and requirements but I need to know if I can make my own lesson plans or do I need to be registered with an organization. Also what happens when I go to my kids school to take them out, can they say/do anything about it? I am not happy with our school system and I don't feel as if it is a safe environment for my kids. I have been looking at K-12 but they are really pricey, is this something I have to do or can I make their lesson plans on my own. I want to make sure I am doing everything right and not breaking any laws. I am nervous to do this but I know we are making the right decision for our children, any input is welcome. Thanks.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Samantha!

As a new homeschooling momma I know it can be a little overwhelming and scary at first, but with time you will become much more confident and at ease.

Texas is a very easy state in which to homeschool. You have very little requirements to meet. Yes, you can make your own lesson plans. You do NOT have to be registered with any organization. The school does not have any say in your desire to withdraw your kids. There is a paid version of K12 (the pricey one) and a free version. Be very careful if you choose the free (virtual school) because it is actually public school and you will abide by their rules and regulations. You lose almost all your freedoms...it is NOT homeschooling. We tried it one year and HATED it. We were and are not alone in that feeling.

Homeschooling is very unique to each family. It is very flexible but can take some time to adjust to all the ins and outs. I would suggest finding a local homeschool support group and a local homeschool co-op to get involved with. You can Google both. There are lots of Time4Learning members here in the Texas forum and I am sure many would be willing to offer suggestions and tips to you.

If you choose to use Time4Learning, your kids will have access to three grade levels per subject. For example, if your child is in third grade they would have access to grades 2, 3, and 4 within each and every subject. This is wonderful if you have a child who is ahead in one subject and maybe a little behind in another. It is also great because if your child needs extra help or review on something, you can simply access one grade level below and get that extra help or review. Some lessons have worksheets you can print. T4L does all the record keeping, grading, and lesson planning. You have an activity scheduler at your disposal. Your kids can earn time (you set the limits) at the educational playground. They LOVE that! Much of the lower level lessons are very animated and are great for visual learners. Lots of lessons are even read to the student. The student has their own login area and the parent also has a login area. There are no contracts and there is a discount for multiple students and advance payments. Try some of the demos with you kids.

Here is a free e-book written by veteran homeschoolers just for new homeschooling families. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming. Here are tips and tricks for using the Time4Learning system.

Best wishes and be sure to keep us informed.
    Last edited by jpenn; 08-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Thank you so much, I am nervous but very excited. I am going to go through the demo's and try to get familiar with everything. I will probably have lots of questions along the way

We have decided to go with T4L, I am very excited to get started. I have to go withdraw my kids from school today and I am sure they are going to try to give me a hard time, they are famous for doing so. I have thought long and hard on this and it just feels like the right thing to do for our family. Thanks again for the information

Unregistered Guest

Hi Samantha!
    We're new to homeschooling this year too. It's alittle scary!

I started with the THSC (Texas Homeschool Coalition) website and then branched off from there! We did decide to join a group in hopes to have other families to go on Field Trips with. We are also going to join another one to cover more of our needs!

What area are you based in?
    Good luck
    Eugenia Motley
    (Allen)

Hi Samantha...I am Angela... don't be scared or nervous there are thousands of homeschoolers and lots of support groups out there also...I would love to help with any questions you might have...I have been homeschooling my kids now for five years now and I still love it...I wish you the best.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi Samantha!
    We're new to homeschooling this year too. It's alittle scary!

I started with the THSC (Texas Homeschool Coalition) website and then branched off from there! We did decide to join a group in hopes to have other families to go on Field Trips with. We are also going to join another one to cover more of our needs!

What area are you based in?
    Good luck
    Eugenia Motley
    (Allen)

Hi Samantha,

Here is a free e-book written by veteran homeschoolers just for new homeschooling families. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming. Also, here are tips and tricks for using the T4L program.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie