So unsure...

Thread: So unsure...

MADE.MOMMY Guest

Default So unsure...

So this is the run down. We've been in public School thus far , which is great. This year my son is K and my daughter is 3rd. We wanted (I wanted) to homeschool this year just to see if my children would like it or retain more. So we did a test with K12 which I thought was a placement test for my daughters Reading level, turned out to be an eligibility test and she did not do well so K12 is out!!! Now where do I go from here?? I thought to enroll my son with Keystone but with my daughter and son both needing a program I don't think Keystone will be the option for us, although it is less costly than The International Academy....We're in Texas, are you saying I could just write the district and keep forth with the plan to homeschool with this program and I don't actually have to be enrolled somewhere??? What about testing (seems like homeschoolers are exempt)?? I just don't want any legal troubles....

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: So unsure...

I'm not familiar with the Texas state law, but K12 is usually public school at home (unless using it privately). I think the other places you mentioned are also online schools, which is different than Time4Learning. With Time4Learning (a curriculum), you are in charge of your student's education. This is great because if you want to work on multiple grade levels, you can easily set that up. You can also choose to repeat or skip lessons, which is helpful if they don't understand something or already get a concept. In my state, we don't have to do state testing when homeschooling. It's an option, but not required. This year we opted out of any testing. More learning. Less stress.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So unsure...

Texas is THE most homeschool friendly state. Here are the only requirements:

• The instruction must be bona fide. This means you can't say you are homeschooling just to keep your child out of school. You must actually teach them.
    • The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
    • The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship. (However, not all of these must be taught every year. For example, many families do not specifically teach spelling once their student is high school age, or in kindergarten. Good citizenship can be part of your social studies curriculum or can be taught via casual parental instruction and modeling.)

Here's a great site for learning how to homeschool in Texas.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!