STAAR Question

Thread: STAAR Question

CrystalinTexas is offline Junior Member Newbie

Arrow STAAR Question

We are just getting ready to begin our homeschooling adventure with my 7th grade daughter! We are accidental homeschoolers, and I am at the very beginning of this learning process. Everything I have read says that we do not have to take the STAAR test in the state of Texas if we are homeschooling. However, what I cannot find out is if we enroll our daughter in a charter school next year, do we have to have the STAAR est on record for her to get into that school? Since it is not a private school, I can't find any information. Can anyone here help me?

I have the same question as you Crystal. Have you found an answer?

tinaspears Guest

Default Re: STAAR Question

When I homeschooled my older girls here in Texas, I had them take the Starr test for my own records. When we moved to Maryland and they went to public middle/highschool. The schools loved that i had them take the Starr test and didn't have to test them to see where they would place. They both got advanced a grade because there Starr scores. Now we are back in Texas and I'm homeschooling my youngest(14), I still have take the Starr's test just in case she wants to back to public school for highschool. I just print out what year they have available and have her do them. We also use them to see how much she has learned and if we need to advance her to the next grade. It wouldn't hurt to have them that way even if they don't need them.

Patlou is offline Junior Member

Default Re: STAAR Question

Quote Originally Posted by tinaspears View Post
    When I homeschooled my older girls here in Texas, I had them take the Starr test for my own records. When we moved to Maryland and they went to public middle/highschool. The schools loved that i had them take the Starr test and didn't have to test them to see where they would place. They both got advanced a grade because there Starr scores. Now we are back in Texas and I'm homeschooling my youngest(14), I still have take the Starr's test just in case she wants to back to public school for highschool. I just print out what year they have available and have her do them. We also use them to see how much she has learned and if we need to advance her to the next grade. It wouldn't hurt to have them that way even if they don't need them.
    Use of the STAAR test the way you have been doing is a good idea Tina. Please tell me where to find and print out the tests.