Star??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Star??

Suzie0821 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Star??

Im recently new to home schooling. I know the STAR testing is not mandatory if homeschooling, but if I do want my son tested does anyone know how to go about doing it??

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie0821 View Post
    Im recently new to home schooling. I know the STAR testing is not mandatory if homeschooling, but if I do want my son tested does anyone know how to go about doing it??
    I am so glad we do not have to do STAAR testing for homeschooling. I don't know how you would find exact STAAR testing materials, as it is not allowed for viewing out side of public school. You can take assessment tests that are good. I know on the Language Arts section of Time4Learning, there are State Assessment Tests you can take. I Pulled my son out of public school 6 months ago, and was the room mom for 4th grade. I am so glad I don't have to equate his "education" with State testing anymore.
    jpenn likes this.

tricia71 is offline Junior Member Newbie

TXVA and other online Public Schools in Texas require STAR testing. You may wish to contact them to see if you can have your child tested. That said, I have home schooled for the past 18 years (4 children the first two have gone on to and completed college) I do not believe these test have any value. I tested my children every 2 years using the SAT tests, there are testing centers throughout Houston (where I live) and most offer Grade level SAT's. I feel this is a much more accurate reflection of the child's progress. I use the results to ensure that I have not missed anything that should have been covered in a particular grade level. I would strongly encourage you to consider a less testing focused approach and let your child's interests guide the majority of their educational choices.

jcsalinas Guest

Default Staar

I agree with tricia71, I wouldn't bother worrying about STAAR testing at all and look for info about either ACT or SAT assessments since that is what would be required for enrollment in college later on. STAAR testing in my opinion is a waste of time, it's only so the public schools can show the state that they are "teaching" the students enough to keep receiving state funding. It is really sad to see how many public school districts are basing their curriculum around the STAAR test itself!!!