Starting out new
    Unregistered Guest

Default Starting out new

Hi,

I am somewhat new to the homeschooling world. My son (now 19) did Virtual Academy for two years of high school and loved it. I have twin daughters that are going to be entering Pre-K and we really like the homeschooling aspect. In my research, to do virtual academy in Texas, they have to do three years of traditional school, but I do not see that requirement for regular homeschooling. My question is, what is the end result? If I choose to do only regular homeschooling, how would they end up getting credit as completing high school? Is it through a GED? Also, can they do homeschooling and transfer to Virtual Academy after the first three years? I want to make the best decisions for my children, and honestly, I kind of wished my mom had put me through homeschooling of some sort. Probably would have stayed out of some trouble!

Thanks for any advice and direction you can give me.

Shana Jones
    San Angelo, TX

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting out new

Hi, Shana.

When homeschooling, the parent decides what the student needs to do to graduate from the family's home school. You decide what equals a credit. You decide how many credits your child needs to graduate. You may give credit for after school jobs, volunteer work, Scouts, 4H, arts and crafts your student enjoys, music lessons, educational DVDs or computer games, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics. You keep all records, and you prepare a homeschool transcript for your child.

You issue a homeschool diploma. (All fifty states allow this.) Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma as they would any other diploma, if the student was homeschooled legally. (Some employers do not know this, and need to be educated about it, if they notice the diploma is a homeschool diploma. I provide my own kids with a very professional looking homeshcool diploma that just says "high school diploma" at the top. Most people don't notice that it was signed by someone with the same last name as the student.)

Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

Public schools do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit. There are no rules saying what they must or may not accept, and it often comes down to the opinion of the person you are speaking with at the school. It isn't unusual for a public school to refuse to give credit for any homeschool work. So, while it is pretty easy for your student to graduate from your family's home school, it can be challenging to try and mix homeschooling with public school. As a homeschool parent, you can choose to give credit for any public school courses your student has already completed . . . but it won't necessarily work in the opposite direction, because a public school is often reluctant (or refuses) to give credit for non-public-school work.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School. com. You will find loads of information there, as well as printable forms, diploma and transcript templates, and a wealth of other resources.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!